Calculating Steam Turbine Work & Power from 2 Unknowns

In summary, a steam turbine with an inlet of 2kg/s water at 1000kPa and 350C and velocity of 15m/s has an exit at 100kPa, 100% quality and very low velocity. The specific work and power produced can be calculated using the energy equation, taking into account the heat loss and kinetic energy of the steam. "100% quality" refers to the liquid being a saturated vapor with a specific enthalpy equal to the value of Hg at the given temperature. The final temperature can be determined using the first law of thermodynamics. In this case, the velocity must be considered in order to get the correct answer. It is generally safe to neglect kinetic energy, but
JSBeckton
A steam turbine has an inlet of 2kg/s water at 1000kPa and 350C and velocity of 15m/s. The exit is at 100kPa, 100% quality and very low velocity. Find specific work and power produced.

I have done a lot of these problems but it usually says adiabatic or the inlet and exit temp is the same. How do i solve with the energy equation when I have 2 unknowns? (q and w)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
JSBeckton said:
A steam turbine has an inlet of 2kg/s water at 1000kPa and 350C and velocity of 15m/s. The exit is at 100kPa, 100% quality and very low velocity. Find specific work and power produced.
What does 100% quality mean? Check the question carefully. One has to have a temperature of the exit steam/water in order to determine the loss of energy of the steam.

AM

I understand that that gives me the exit temp, I just do not understand how to solve the energy equation for work when I have heat loss as well. Is the heat loss just the difference in internal energy between those two temperatures and pressures?

JSBeckton said:
I understand that that gives me the exit temp, I just do not understand how to solve the energy equation for work when I have heat loss as well. Is the heat loss just the difference in internal energy between those two temperatures and pressures?
The first law of thermodynamics:

[tex]dQ = dU + dW = nC_vdT + PdV[/tex]

where dQ is the heat removed from the hot reservoir, applies only to systems in thermodynamic equilbrium. Here you have a dynamic element: moving steam, so you have to take into account the kinetic energy of the steam as well.

I still don't understand how you get the exit temperature. What does "100% quality" mean?

AM

JSBeckton said:

I have done a lot of these problems but it usually says adiabatic or the inlet and exit temp is the same. How do i solve with the energy equation when I have 2 unknowns? (q and w)

thanks

The heat flow is zero. Turbines under steady state are adiabatic unless otherwise specified. You have one unknown, solve for it.

AM, 100% quality means the liquid is a saturated vapor, x=1.0, and the specific enthalpy is equal to the value of Hg at said temperature.

Beckton and his never ending slew of thermo questions, aye caramba. :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, sorry about all of the thermo questions, just studying for an exam and doing a bunch of problems that were not assigned so I sometimes come across something that was not covered and haven't seen that situation before, but that helps me the more situations I see, the more I understand the underlying concepts.

I figured it out and found that without taking into account the velocity, the anwser is 482.19 kj/kg, and 482.303 kJ,kg with the velocity considered (the right anwser in the back of the book). Is this not negligible?

What do you think?

It seems to me that we should almost always neglect kinetic energy. Should there be a rule of thumb or something?

What is the equation for calculating steam turbine work?

The equation for calculating steam turbine work is W = m x (h1 - h2), where W is the work output in Joules, m is the mass flow rate of steam in kg/s, h1 is the enthalpy of the steam at the inlet in J/kg, and h2 is the enthalpy of the steam at the outlet in J/kg.

How do you calculate the power output of a steam turbine?

To calculate the power output of a steam turbine, you can use the equation P = W/t, where P is the power output in Watts, W is the work output in Joules calculated using the previous equation, and t is the time in seconds.

What are the 2 unknowns in calculating steam turbine work and power?

The 2 unknowns in calculating steam turbine work and power are the mass flow rate of steam (m) and the enthalpy of the steam at the outlet (h2).

How can you determine the mass flow rate of steam in a steam turbine?

The mass flow rate of steam can be determined by measuring the amount of steam passing through the turbine in a given time, or by using a steam flow meter.

What is the significance of calculating work and power in a steam turbine?

Calculating work and power in a steam turbine helps to determine the efficiency of the turbine and to make adjustments for optimal performance. It also allows for the comparison of different turbines and their performance.