How Can I Solve a Volume Problem Using the Cylindrical Shell Method?

In summary, the problem requires finding the volume generated by rotating a region bounded by given curves around a specified axis. The most effective method for this is using vertical cylindrical shells. The integral should be set up as V = \pi\cdot\int_0^5 \big[ (3+\sqrt{x-1})^2 - 3^2) \big] dx, with x ranging from 1 to 5.
shaneewert
Please help! How do I do this problem?

Using the method of cylindrical shells, find the volume generated by rotating the region the region bounded by the given curves about the specified axis.

y=(x-1)^(1/2), y=0, x=5; about y = 3

Please tell me how to set up the integral! Any help is MUCH appreciated.

So far I have Integral from 0 to 2 of (3-(y^2+1))*y dy I know that isn't right, because I am not getting the right answer! The book says that it is 24pi.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, draw a picture. Then cut the region into horizontal slabs of height dy (or [itex]\Delta y[/itex] if you prefer). Imagine a slab at height y being rotated around the line y=3. What would be the volume the obtained cylinder?
Next, add the contributions from all cylinders, i.e. integrate.

I think that using vertical cylindrical shells would be most effective for this problem.

I would use vertical cylindrical shell whose outer radius r2 is [tex]3+\sqrt{x-1}[/tex] while its inner radius r1 is 3 and whose height is dx.

Now the infinitesimal volume of any arbitrary shell would be

[tex]dV = \pi\cdot dx\cdot \big[ (3+\sqrt{x-1})^2 - 3^2) \big][/tex]

Now since x would have to go from 1 to 5 to cover the required region, we just integrate the above expression from 1 to 5 and we get:

[tex]V = \pi\cdot\int_0^5 \big[ (3+\sqrt{x-1})^2 - 3^2) \big] dx[/tex]

This should give you the right answer.

Last edited:

1. How is the "Cylindrical Shell Method" used in mathematical calculations?

The Cylindrical Shell Method is a technique used in integral calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional solid with a curved surface. It involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and integrating their volumes to find the total volume of the solid.

2. What type of solids can be solved using the Cylindrical Shell Method?

The Cylindrical Shell Method can be used to find the volume of solids with curved surfaces such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. It can also be applied to more complex shapes, as long as the solid can be sliced into thin cylindrical shells.

3. How does the Cylindrical Shell Method differ from other methods of finding volume?

The main difference between the Cylindrical Shell Method and other methods, such as the Disk Method or the Washer Method, is the shape of the slices used. The Cylindrical Shell Method uses cylindrical slices, while the Disk and Washer Methods use circular slices. This allows the Cylindrical Shell Method to be used for solids with curved surfaces, while the Disk and Washer Methods are better suited for solids with flat surfaces.

4. What is the formula for calculating volume using the Cylindrical Shell Method?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid using the Cylindrical Shell Method is V = 2π∫ab(r(x)h(x))dx, where r(x) is the distance from the axis of rotation to the edge of the cylindrical shell, h(x) is the height of the cylindrical shell, and a and b are the limits of integration.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Cylindrical Shell Method?

The Cylindrical Shell Method has various real-world applications, such as finding the volume of oil tanks, water towers, and storage tanks. It is also used in engineering and architecture for calculating the volume of curved structures like bridges and tunnels. Additionally, it can be used in physics to find the moment of inertia of a rotating object.