Acid/Base Equilibria (hard, i think).

In summary, the problem involves a solution made by dissolving 1 oz of 80% pure Ammonium Sulfate in 1 gallon of water at 25 degrees C. The task is to find the concentration of HSO4 and NH3 in solution at equilibrium, and to determine the amount of pure NH3 and H2SO4 to add in order to achieve a pH of 7.0. The first part is solved by converting the units to moles/L and using equilibrium calculations. For the second part, it is important to note that NH3 is not a strong base, and using Le Chatelier's principle, equal concentrations of NH3 and H2SO4 are needed to get a pH of 7
jajahaha

Homework Statement

1 oz of 80% pure (NH4)2SO4, 1 gallon of water @ 25 degrees Celsius.
1 gallon = 3.785 L, 1 oz = 28.4 grams.

Suppose an avid gardener prepares a solution by putting 1 oz of 80% pure Ammonium Sulfate in a gallon of water at 25 degrees C.
a) what is concentration of HSO4 and NH3 in solution at equlibrium.
b) suppose you want to make sure pH is at 7.0. If you have pure NH3 and H2SO4 at hand, how many grams (of which one) would you have to add?

Homework Equations

(NH4)2SO4 dissolves in water to form 2NH4+ and SO4(2-)

NH4 + H2O => H3O + NH3
SO4 + H2O => OH + HSO4

The Attempt at a Solution

i already finished part a by first changing oz and gallons into moles/L => Molarity. then i calculated equilibrium amounts by initial, change, end calculations.

my main problem lies in (b) as i have no clue how to approach this problem. can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
NH3 is a strong base while H2SO4 is strong acid. Since water has a leveling effect, almost 100% of a strong acid yields H3O and almost 100% of a strong base yields OH. This means that when you mix a strong base and a strong acid in equal quantities, the concentration of OH and H3O is almost the same. From Le Chatelier principle, some of the OH and H3O will react to produce H2O (inverse of autoionization). This said, the final concentration of OH and H3O is very close to 10^-7. So you need the same concentration (once mixed in) of each in order to get a Ph of 7.

Werg22 said:
NH3 is a strong base

It is not. I am afraid that's not the only reason that makes your discussion invalid, but the most obvious one.

1. What is an acid/base equilibrium?

An acid/base equilibrium refers to the balance between the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. These ions determine the acidity or basicity of a solution and their concentrations can be altered through chemical reactions.

2. What is the pH scale and how is it related to acid/base equilibria?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. A solution with a pH less than 7 is considered acidic, while a pH greater than 7 is considered basic. The pH of a solution is determined by the concentration of hydrogen ions, with a lower pH indicating a higher concentration of H+ ions and a higher acidity.

3. How do acids and bases react with each other?

Acids and bases can react with each other in a process called neutralization. Acids donate hydrogen ions to bases, forming water and a salt. This reaction helps to balance the concentration of H+ and OH- ions, resulting in a neutral solution.

4. How do acid/base equilibria play a role in everyday life?

Acid/base equilibria play a crucial role in many aspects of everyday life, such as in the digestive system, where stomach acid helps to break down food. They also play a role in cleaning products, food preservation, and the regulation of pH levels in the body.

5. How can we manipulate acid/base equilibria?

Acid/base equilibria can be manipulated through various methods, such as adding a strong acid or base to a solution, which will shift the equilibrium towards the weaker acid or base. Changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration can also affect the equilibrium and alter the pH of a solution.