Frequency Multiplier IC: Options for Higher Harmonics

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, Jason is working on a special three-channel pulse circuit that has three harmonic outputs using a 7473 flip-flip IC. He is presently driving it with his function generator, which only goes up to 1MHz and he can divide the frequency down to 500 kHz and 250 kHz using the flip flip chip. However, he wants to be able to control the thing with his function generator and go up to higher harmonics then he is capable of reaching at the moment. Jason is exploring the possibility of making the flip-flop circuit so that he can dynamically vary all three frequencies by varying the signal generator input.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I've been working on making a special three-channel pulse circuit that has three harmonic outputs using a 7473 flip-flip IC. I am presently driving it with my function generator, which only goes up to 1MHz and I can divide the frequency down to 500 kHz and 250 kHz using the flip flip chip.

However, I am wondering if there is any kind of IC that does just the opposite of the flip flop, meaning that it doubles the frequency that you put into it? Ideally, I want to be able to control the thing with my function generator but be able to go up to higher harmonics then I am capable of reaching at the moment.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know anything off the top of my head, but conceptually, you can use your function generator to make a square wave, and then use a narrowband amplifier to amplify the higher harmonics.

Build a class C amplifier and tune the tank circuit to a harmonic of the input frequency.

Is there any way to make it variable? I made the flip-flop circuit so that I could dynamically vary all three frequencies by varying the signal generator input.

Attachments

• Harmonic Pulse Circuit.JPG
    Harmonic Pulse Circuit.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 449
Jdo300 said:
Is there any way to make it variable? I made the flip-flop circuit so that I could dynamically vary all three frequencies by varying the signal generator input.

What you are describing is a phase-locked loop (PLL):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLL

You make a PLL with a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) like a 74HC124 or more modern one, along with a feedback/divider circuit that locks a multiple of the basic oscillator frequency onto the fundamental frequency. Like, you could make a x8 PLL to give you an 8MHz output waveform that is locked to (and based upon) the 1MHz input frequency.

PLLs are a very interesting function block, and very useful in the real world. I'd encourage you to do some reading, and to build a few with discrete parts like the 74HC124 and flip-flop dividers. Pay particular attention to the math behind the stability of the feedback path, and the startup/lock times and phase jitter calculations.

Good project, Jason.

1. What is a frequency multiplier IC?

A frequency multiplier IC is an integrated circuit that takes an input signal and produces an output signal with a higher frequency. It is used in electronic devices to generate higher harmonics of a given input frequency.

2. How does a frequency multiplier IC work?

A frequency multiplier IC works by using a combination of nonlinear devices and filters to generate higher harmonics of the input signal. The nonlinear devices, such as diodes or transistors, produce distortion in the input signal which results in the generation of higher frequency components.

3. What are the options for higher harmonics in a frequency multiplier IC?

The options for higher harmonics in a frequency multiplier IC include single-stage and multi-stage circuits. Single-stage circuits use a single nonlinear device to generate higher harmonics, while multi-stage circuits use multiple nonlinear devices in a cascading fashion.

4. What are the advantages of using a frequency multiplier IC?

One of the main advantages of using a frequency multiplier IC is that it provides a compact and efficient solution for generating higher frequency signals. It also offers a wide range of frequency multiplication options and can be easily integrated into electronic devices.

5. What are some common applications of frequency multiplier ICs?

Frequency multiplier ICs are commonly used in communication systems, radar systems, signal generators, and other electronic devices that require high-frequency signals. They are also used in scientific research for generating high-frequency signals for experiments and measurements.