Loading the magnetic field of an inductor

In summary: Keep in mind that the pulse width will also affect the current, so use a wide pulsewidth to maximize the current.
Jdo300
Hello all,

I have a simple experiment I'm working on where I am pulsing square waves into an air-cored coil with a high inductance (in the mH range). I am wondering if there is a way to calculate what pulse width, on the square wave, I would need to use to completely load the magnetic field of the coil, but no more. I want to see how much of the stored energy I can get back from the field (minus the resistive losses). Ideally, I want all the input power to go into the field and then the pulse would shut off before extra power is wasted and unnecessary current flows through the coil. Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
you can't avoid resistive losses, it's not like an overflowing cup type thing where if you "fill up" the field and then stop none will be lost to resistance.

Jdo300 said:
Hello all,

I have a simple experiment I'm working on where I am pulsing square waves into an air-cored coil with a high inductance (in the mH range). I am wondering if there is a way to calculate what pulse width, on the square wave, I would need to use to completely load the magnetic field of the coil, but no more. I want to see how much of the stored energy I can get back from the field (minus the resistive losses). Ideally, I want all the input power to go into the field and then the pulse would shut off before extra power is wasted and unnecessary current flows through the coil. Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks,
Jason O

I'm not sure what you mean by completely loading the coil. The current is limited by the source voltage and the DCR of the coil. You can calculate the LR time constant, and charge the coil for a few time constants per pulse. What's your DCR? (If it's low, be sure to subtract out your DVM lead resistances in the final reading.)

1. How do you load the magnetic field of an inductor?

The magnetic field of an inductor is loaded by passing a current through the inductor. This current creates a magnetic field around the inductor, which can then be stored in the inductor's core.

2. What is the purpose of loading the magnetic field of an inductor?

Loading the magnetic field of an inductor allows the inductor to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. This stored energy can then be released and used in various applications, such as in power supplies or in electronic circuits.

3. How does the loading process affect the inductor's magnetic field?

During the loading process, the inductor's magnetic field will increase in strength as more current is passed through it. Once the maximum capacity of the inductor is reached, the magnetic field will remain constant until the current is removed.

4. Is there a limit to how much magnetic field an inductor can hold?

Yes, there is a limit to how much magnetic field an inductor can hold. This limit is determined by the inductor's physical properties, such as its core material and size. Once the maximum capacity is reached, the inductor will become saturated and will not be able to hold any more magnetic field.

5. How can I calculate the amount of magnetic field loaded in an inductor?

The amount of magnetic field loaded in an inductor can be calculated using the formula B = μNI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ is the permeability of the inductor's core, N is the number of turns in the inductor, and I is the current passing through the inductor. This formula can be used to determine the maximum capacity of the inductor's magnetic field.