Solve Poisson Brackets: (g,h) = 1, (g^n,h) = ng^{n-1}

In summary, we have shown that if Poisson brackets (g,h) = 1, then (g^{n},h) = ng^{n-1}, where g = g(p,q), h = h(p,q), and p and q are canonical coordinates. This was demonstrated by using the definition of Poisson brackets and applying the Leibniz rule, which showed that the desired result could be obtained recursively.
sundriedtomato
[SOLVED] Poisson brackets.

Homework Statement

Show that, if Poisson brackets (g,h) = 1, then (g[tex]^{n}[/tex],h) = ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]
where g = g(p,q) and h = h(p,q)

p and q are canonical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose that this is purely mathematical, but I am still searching for a detailed example in literature.
I also would like to ask - what book/author can you recommend, where alike problem is discussed.

Thank You!
P.S. I tried search function, but found nothing similar.

Solutions:

(g,h) [tex]\equiv[/tex] [tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta q}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta p}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex] = 1

so, from here we have

(g[tex]^{n}[/tex],h) [tex]\equiv[/tex] [tex]\frac{\delta g^{n}}{\delta q}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta g^{n}}{\delta p}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex]

=> ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta g^{n}}{\delta q}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta p}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex] =>

ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]([tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta q}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta p}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex])
and the part in brackets is = 1 as we know from given Poisson bracket =>

(g[tex]^{n}[/tex],h) [tex]\equiv[/tex] ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]
genneth said:
Yep! Or, using the fact that [tex]\{.,h\}[/tex] acts like a derivative, via the Leibniz rule:

[tex]\{ab,h\} = a\{b,h\} + \{a,h\}b[/tex]

So,

[tex]\{g^n,h\} = g^{n-1}\{g,h\} + \{g^{n-1},h\}g[/tex]

Giving you a recursive relation, that should be solvable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sundriedtomato said:

Homework Statement

Show that, if Poisson brackets (g,h) = 1, then (g[tex]^{n}[/tex],h) = ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]
where g = g(p,q) and h = h(p,q)

p and q are canonical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose that this is purely mathematical, but I am still searching for a detailed example in literature.
I also would like to ask - what book/author can you recommend, where alike problem is discussed.

Thank You!
P.S. I tried search function, but found nothing similar.

What have you already seen on Poisson brackets? I could give you the answer but it will make more sense to you if you can get the answer from what you have learned.

First of all, have you seen the definition of a PB?

Yes, I have seen the definition of PB, and brief explanation of its properties.
Should I involve partial integration by time?
I will try to work out what (g^2,h) will give.

sundriedtomato said:
Yes, I have seen the definition of PB, and brief explanation of its properties.
Should I involve partial integration by time?
I will try to work out what (g^2,h) will give.

There are no integrations involved, just partial derivatives.

Actually, I take back what I wrote. If you know the definition, just plug in g^n and you will directly get the final answer!

The important thing is that the Poisson bracket is like a derivative operator. Use the Leibnez rule.

Well, here is what I have:

(g,h) [tex]\equiv[/tex] [tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta q}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta p}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex] = 1

so, from here we have

(g[tex]^{n}[/tex],h) [tex]\equiv[/tex] [tex]\frac{\delta g^{n}}{\delta q}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta g^{n}}{\delta p}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex]

=> ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex] (??)

I am actually ashamed of being unable to do such an easy task, which is basically depends on elementary calculus.

sundriedtomato said:
Well, here is what I have:

so, from here we have

=> ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex] (??)

I am actually ashamed of being unable to do such an easy task, which is basically depends on elementary calculus.

You are applying the chain rule, so you should have written, for example,
[tex] \frac{\delta g^n}{\delta q} = n g^{n-1} \frac{\delta g}{\delta q} [/tex] (you forgot the delta g/delta q)
and the same for the derivative with respect to p.

Then you will see that it works out.

Patrick

so, from here we have

=> ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta g^{n}}{\delta q}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta p}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex] =>

ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]([tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta q}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta p}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta p}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta h}{\delta q}[/tex])
and the part in brackets is = 1 as we know from given Poisson bracket =>

(g[tex]^{n}[/tex],h) [tex]\equiv[/tex] ng[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]

?

Simon

Yep! Or, using the fact that [tex]\{.,h\}[/tex] acts like a derivative, via the Leibniz rule:

[tex]\{ab,h\} = a\{b,h\} + \{a,h\}b[/tex]

So,

[tex]\{g^n,h\} = g^{n-1}\{g,h\} + \{g^{n-1},h\}g[/tex]

Giving you a recursive relation, that should be solvable.

That is beautiful. Thank You everybody who took part in this!

1. What is a Poisson Bracket?

A Poisson Bracket is a mathematical tool used in classical mechanics to describe the relationship between two variables. It represents the change in one variable with respect to the change in another variable.

2. How is a Poisson Bracket calculated?

The Poisson Bracket is calculated using the formula (f,g) = ∂f/∂x * ∂g/∂p - ∂f/∂p * ∂g/∂x, where f and g are functions of the variables x and p.

3. What does (g,h) = 1 represent in the Poisson Bracket equation?

In the given equation, (g,h) = 1 represents that the two functions g and h are in involution, meaning that they commute or have the same Poisson Bracket value regardless of the order in which they are multiplied.

4. How is the Poisson Bracket related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

The Poisson Bracket is an important tool in Hamiltonian mechanics as it helps to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of the Hamiltonian function. It also helps to determine the equations of motion for the system.

5. What is the significance of the equation (g^n,h) = ng^{n-1} in the Poisson Bracket?

This equation represents the Leibniz rule, which states that the Poisson Bracket of a function raised to a power is equal to the power times the function raised to the power minus one. It is a useful property when solving equations involving Poisson Brackets.