What are the missing energy techniques in high energy physics data analysis?

• Thread starter retupmoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
Yes that would be great thanks. I often see references to them in text without any real explanation and I am curious to what they areIn summary, the technique being discussed is the use of missing energies in high energy physics data analysis to determine the processes involved in a reaction and to identify particles. There are various techniques, including "missing momenta," that can be used for this purpose. References can be provided for further information.
retupmoc
Can someone explain to me this technique in high energy physics data analysis

Physics news on Phys.org
retupmoc said:
Can someone explain to me this technique in high energy physics data analysis

What technique?

Pete

pmb_phy said:
What technique?

Pete

Using missing energies to determine which processes are responsible for a reaction and for particle ID

There are severals, and there are also "missing momenta" technuiqes. Do you want references instead? I can't write 10pages here..

malawi_glenn said:
There are severals, and there are also "missing momenta" technuiqes. Do you want references instead? I can't write 10pages here..

Yes that would be great thanks. I often see references to them in text without any real explanation and I am curious to what they are

1. What are missing energy techniques?

Missing energy techniques are tools used in particle physics experiments to detect and measure particles that are not directly observed. These particles are referred to as "missing" because they do not leave a detectable trace in the detector, but their presence can be inferred through conservation laws and other physical principles.

2. How do missing energy techniques work?

Missing energy techniques work by analyzing the energy and momentum of particles that are detected in an experiment and using that information to calculate the energy and momentum of the missing particles. This is done through various mathematical and statistical methods, such as kinematic fitting and event reconstruction algorithms.

3. What types of particles can be detected using missing energy techniques?

Missing energy techniques can be used to detect a variety of particles, including neutrinos, dark matter particles, and particles that decay into undetectable particles such as photons or neutrinos. They can also be used to study the properties of known particles, such as the W and Z bosons.

4. What are the applications of missing energy techniques?

Missing energy techniques have a wide range of applications in particle physics, including the search for new particles, the measurement of fundamental physical parameters, and the study of particle interactions. They are also used in experiments to test theoretical models and to search for new physics beyond the Standard Model.

5. What are the limitations of missing energy techniques?

One limitation of missing energy techniques is that they rely on assumptions and approximations, which can introduce systematic uncertainties in the measurements. Additionally, certain types of particles, such as neutrinos, are notoriously difficult to detect and measure using missing energy techniques, which can limit their applicability in certain experiments.