Does anyone know the symbol for a vertical subset symbol Latex help

In summary, the conversation discusses the symbol for a vertical subset and how it differs from the regular subset symbol. The suggestion to use the rotating package for LaTeX is given as a solution, but the person encountering the problem is having trouble getting it to work. They are advised to try converting the dvi file to ps or pdf to view the results.
Tzar
Does anyone know the symbol for a vertical subset symbol?? i.e the equivalent of \subseteq
but which points up (i also need one which points down)?? Thank for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean union and intersection? \cup and \cap

Last edited:
no no. what I am trying to achieve is like a commutative diagram but with with "subset" symbols instead of arrros. So for example, one of the ros may be A\subseteq B. I need the analogue of this but for columns. The \cup and \cap sublos won't do, for they don't have a slash next to them, indicating the possibility of equality...

Maybe you should use the rotating package for LaTeX.

How do I do that?? Is there a specific functon that allow me to rotate any given symbol??

Thank you ver much for your help..However, for some reason when I try to use the rotating package, it simply doesn't work. I type the command to rotate (after loading the package) and it simply doesn't rotate, it just prints the symbol (or any other text when I try) normally. I don't get an error message either. If comment out the line \usepackage{rotating} then I do get an error which I guess means it recognise the command \begin{rotating}...

has any ever had a similar problem?

It might be that the dvi viewer doesn't recognize what is happening.
Try to convert the dvi to ps or pdf, then view accordingly.

1. What is a vertical subset symbol in Latex?

A vertical subset symbol in Latex is a mathematical symbol used to indicate that one set is a subset of another set. It is represented by a vertical line with a horizontal line intersecting it at the bottom.

2. How do I insert a vertical subset symbol in Latex?

To insert a vertical subset symbol in Latex, you can use the command "\subset" or "\subseteq" depending on whether the subset is proper or not. These commands should be placed between a pair of dollar signs or within a math environment.

3. Can I change the size of the vertical subset symbol in Latex?

Yes, you can change the size of the vertical subset symbol in Latex by using the "\big", "\Big", "\bigg", or "\Bigg" commands before the "\subset" or "\subseteq" command. These commands will increase the size of the symbol accordingly.

4. Is there an alternative symbol for a vertical subset in Latex?

Yes, there is an alternative symbol for a vertical subset in Latex which is represented by "\sqsubset" or "\sqsubseteq" for proper and non-proper subsets, respectively. This symbol is a square with a vertical line inside of it.

5. How do I use the vertical subset symbol in an equation in Latex?

The vertical subset symbol in Latex can be used in an equation by placing it between a pair of dollar signs or within a math environment, just like any other mathematical symbol. It can also be used in conjunction with other symbols and equations to represent mathematical operations.