Interaction term in path integral

In summary: The notation is a bit confusing. But in essence, the functional derivative acts like a derivative, so the potential is just a function of this derivative. Hope that makes sense!In summary, there is a debate about the equivalence of two forms of the generating functional Z[J] in QFT books. One argument suggests that the potential term V(\phi) can be taken out of the path integral, while the other argues that it cannot unless it is a constant. The correct statement is that the potential is a function of the functional derivative over the current J, and the two forms of Z[J] are equivalent due to a formal derivation of perturbation theory. Further explanations and examples can be found in references such as "QFT
QuantumDevil
In some QFT books it is written that the generating functional
[tex]Z[J]=\int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{i\int d^{4}x(\mathcal{L}_{o} +V(\phi) +J\phi) }[/tex]
can be expressed in equivalent form:

[tex]Z[J]=e^{i\int d^{4}xV(\phi)} \int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{i\int d^{4}x(\mathcal{L}_{o} +J\phi )}[/tex].
The only argument supporting this statement I found is that [tex]V(\phi)[/tex] does not depend on J. But I'm still suspicious about it because we have still to integrate over all possible paths [tex]\mathcal{D}\phi[/tex], which is ommited in the second definition of the generating functional.

So...can anybody explain me why these two froms of [tex]Z[J][/tex] are equivalent?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
something's very wrong with this! You should not be able to take out the potential from the path integral unless it's constant (in phi). What textbooks are you referring to? Are you sure it's not a typo?

These formulae are very different than what you wrote!

As they are in the text, they are correct. The easiest way to see it is to go ahead and expand both the LHS and the RHS in powers of V, and they match.

This is (roughly) nothing more than a formal derivation of perturbation theory.

Can't see it's really a proof because one still have to integrate powers of [tex]V[/tex] over measure [tex]\mathcal{D}\phi[/tex] ...and [tex]V[/tex] depends still on [tex]\phi[/tex].
There is also question: how to interpret integrals over [tex]d^4x[/tex] of interaction term parametrized by functional derivative over current J:
[tex] V (\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)})[/tex]?
How [tex] e^{i\int d^4 x V (\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)})}[/tex] actually acts on [tex]Z_{0}(J)[/tex]?
For me the description given by Srednicki is ambiguous.

Last edited:
check out Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" - it has a very nice explanation of how this all works.

You need the d^4x integral because these are functional derivatives. To get an intuitive idea of what's happening, replace

[tex]\int d^4x\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \rightarrow \frac{d}{dJ}[/tex]

To see how the exponential operator acts, Taylor Expand.

Thanks for reference. It was very helpful.
The reason of my problems was that I assumed [tex] V (\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)})[/tex] to be potential parametrized by functional derivative not just product of potential and the "derivative".

Last edited:
QuantumDevil said:
Thanks for reference. It was very helpful.
The reason of my problems was that I assumed [tex] V (\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)})[/tex] to be potential parametrized by functional derivative not just product of potential and the "derivative".

[itex] V (\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)})[/itex] is referring to the potential, where you plug the functional derivative into the argument. So for example, if V(x)=x^2, then this would be the SECOND FUNCTIONAL DERIVATIVE operator. Not the product.

You're right.

1. What is an interaction term in path integral?

An interaction term in path integral is a mathematical construct used in quantum field theory to describe the interaction between different fields. It is represented by a term in the path integral that takes into account the interactions between particles or fields.

2. How is an interaction term included in the path integral?

The interaction term is typically included in the path integral by adding it to the Lagrangian of the system. This allows for the calculation of the probability amplitude for a particle to interact with other particles or fields.

3. What is the significance of an interaction term in path integral?

The presence of an interaction term in the path integral allows for the calculation of scattering amplitudes, which are important for predicting the outcomes of particle interactions. It also allows for the calculation of correlation functions, which can be used to study the behavior of a system.

4. How does an interaction term affect the path integral calculation?

An interaction term affects the path integral calculation by introducing additional terms that must be integrated over in order to obtain the final result. This can make the calculation more complex, but it also allows for a more accurate description of the system.

5. Can an interaction term be omitted from the path integral calculation?

In some cases, an interaction term can be omitted from the path integral calculation if it is considered to be small or negligible. However, for a complete and accurate description of a system, it is important to include all relevant interaction terms in the path integral.