Compulsory Voting: Should USA Adopt System Used in Australia?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voting
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of implementing a compulsory voting system in the USA, similar to the one used in Australia. The individual speaking is unsure about the topic and believes that compulsory voting may benefit their party, but they do not have much knowledge beyond that. They also bring up the potential drawbacks of compulsory voting, such as a weaker army and the lack of education in voters. The conversation also touches on the differences between the electoral systems in the USA and Australia, including the option to opt out of voting in Australia and the similarities between the Australian and English governments.

Do you think the USA would be better served by a compulsory voting system?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Adam
Question: Do you think the USA would be better served by a compulsory voting system, such as is employed in Australia?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know... I would have to research the topic. Compulsory voting would benefit my party, but I don't know anything else than that.

Absolutely not.
Requiring someone to show up at the poll is not the same as requiring them to educate themselves before hand.

Drafting makes for a weak army because of the mindset of those that are there when they don't want to be, and compulsory voting does the same.

On this whole topic, does Australia not have an opt out option at the poll? Where you can choose not to vote?

are you required to vote in some party's primary?

Our electoral system is not at all like the USA's. We all show up at voting stations on the day, and cast a vote either for a party or for individuals (sort of). You can choose to not show up, but then you get a small fine. That's about it really.

Adam said:
Our electoral system is not at all like the USA's. We all show up at voting stations on the day, and cast a vote either for a party or for individuals (sort of). You can choose to not show up, but then you get a small fine. That's about it really.

Ah yes, my mistake - I'm assuming, more or less, a government almost identical to that of England then?

Well, sort of, yes. After all, they did create ours. Sort of.

1. What is compulsory voting?

Compulsory voting is a system in which all eligible citizens are required by law to vote in elections. This means that individuals must cast a vote for a candidate or abstain from voting, and failure to do so may result in a penalty or fine.

2. Why does Australia have compulsory voting?

Australia has had compulsory voting since 1924, when the government passed the Commonwealth Electoral Act. The main reason for this was to increase voter turnout and ensure a more representative democracy. In the past, voter turnout in Australia was low, but after the implementation of compulsory voting, it has consistently been over 90%.

3. What are the arguments for and against compulsory voting?

Proponents of compulsory voting argue that it promotes political participation, reduces the influence of special interest groups, and ensures a more accurate representation of the population's views. On the other hand, opponents argue that it goes against the principles of democracy and personal freedom, and may result in uninformed or coerced voting.

4. Would compulsory voting work in the United States?

This is a highly debated question and there is no clear answer. Some argue that implementing compulsory voting in the US could increase voter turnout and improve the democratic process. However, others believe that it would be difficult to enforce and may not align with the American values of individual freedom and choice.

5. Are there any other countries that have compulsory voting?

Apart from Australia, there are several other countries that have compulsory voting laws, including Belgium, Brazil, and Argentina. However, there are also many countries that do not have compulsory voting, such as Canada, the UK, and the US.