Concise Calculus of Variations: Solving for Extremal Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a function y is given, and a solution is sought for the integral I = \int_0^\infty [(dy/dx)^2 - y^2 + (1/2)y^4]dx, with given boundary values y(0) = 0 and y(\infty) = 1. The resulting differential equation is y - y^3 + \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = 0, and the conditions are necessary to determine the correct solution to the differential equation.
JukkaVayrynen
Hello everybody.
Sorry, I don't know how to use TeX yet, I couldn't find a testing zone.

Problem:
Let I = \int_0^\infty [(dy/dx)^2 - y^2 + (1/2)y^4]dx, and y(0) = 0, y(\infty) = 1. For I to be extremal, which differential equation does y satisfy?

Solution:
The condition is that \delta I = 0 \Rightarrow \int_0^\infty [2(dy/dx)\delta (dy/dx) -2(y-y^3)\delta y]dx = 0, which results, after partial integration, in y - y^3 + (d^2 y / dx^2) = 0, which I hope is the correct answer.
The question is: why are y(0) = 0 and y(\infty) = 1, mentioned, I didn't use them at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
you have a second order differential equation which, typically, will involve two "arbitrary constants" in its solution. You the additional conditions to determine the correct solution to the differential equation.

In other words, you don't have, strictly speaking, a "differential equation", you have a "boundary value problem": a differential equation and additional conditions.

So the answer should be: y satisfies the boundary value problem [tex]y - y^3 + \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = 0[/tex], y(0) = 0, [tex]y(\infty) = 1[/tex]?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of Calculus of Variations?

The purpose of Calculus of Variations is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function. This allows for the optimization of various physical and mathematical systems, such as finding the path that minimizes travel time or the shape of a cable that minimizes its potential energy.

2. How is Calculus of Variations different from traditional calculus?

Calculus of Variations differs from traditional calculus in that it deals with functions of functions, rather than just functions of variables. It involves finding the optimal function that minimizes or maximizes a certain functional, rather than just finding the derivative of a function at a specific point.

3. What are some real-world applications of Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations has numerous real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and control theory. Some specific examples include determining the optimal shape of an aircraft wing to minimize drag, finding the shortest path for a spacecraft to travel between two points, and optimizing the design of a bridge to support the heaviest load.

4. What are some techniques used in Calculus of Variations?

Some common techniques used in Calculus of Variations include the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is used to find the extreme values of a functional, and the method of variation of parameters, which involves introducing a parameter into the functional and then differentiating with respect to this parameter.

5. How is Calculus of Variations related to optimization?

Calculus of Variations is closely related to optimization, as it involves finding the optimal function that minimizes or maximizes a certain functional. In fact, optimization problems can often be solved using techniques from Calculus of Variations. Additionally, many real-world optimization problems can be formulated as problems in Calculus of Variations.