Phonons: Understanding k-Vectors & Brillouin Zone

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phonons
In summary: EM waves can be Poynting vectors, but phonons can't because they have no translation symmetry.In summary, the movie above the caption justifies the statement in the caption that k-vectors exceeding the first Brillouin zone (red) do not carry more information than their counterparts (black) in the first Brillouin zone.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon
Can someone explain how the movie above the caption
k-Vectors exceeding the first Brillouin zone (red) do not carry more information than their counterparts (black) in the first Brillouin zone.
is a justification of the statement in the caption?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
you see that both the red and the black sinosodial curve represent the "same" physical state (the particle going up and down). They carry the same information.

Since k are multipiles of reciprocal lattice vectors, we see that each k of this kind carry the same information as the smallest one, i.e we only need the k that is contained in the 1st BZ. The other ones, we can "translate back" with a multiple of reciprocal lattice vectors.

I see. The key is that the two waves travel at different speeds and in different directions as a result of the dispersion relation, right?

ehrenfest said:
I see. The key is that the two waves travel at different speeds and in different directions as a result of the dispersion relation, right?

Hmm yes, I think so. You get an infinite set of soultion, but you can always relate them to the smallest one (smallest magnitude), by substracting or adding reciprocal lattice vectors.

Why does that same argument not imply that electromagnetic waves with wavevectors outside of some zone do not carry extra information? I guess I am confused about how the periodicity of the reciprocal lattice makes that argument true? If you put more of those black dots in there, would they just go up and down also, or is there something special about the black dots that they chose?

every black dot will show the same behavior.

The difference between EM and phonons is perhaps that phonon is not a particle, EM is a photon. And also that the crystal have translation symmetry-

1. What are phonons?

Phonons are quasiparticles that describe the collective vibrational energy in a solid material. They can be thought of as the building blocks of sound and heat in solids.

2. How do k-vectors relate to phonons?

K-vectors, also known as wave vectors, describe the momentum of phonons. They determine the wavelength and direction of phonons in a crystal lattice, and are crucial in understanding the behavior of phonons in materials.

3. What is the Brillouin Zone?

The Brillouin Zone is a mathematical concept that describes the periodicity of a crystal lattice. It is a fundamental concept in solid state physics and is used to understand the behavior of phonons and electrons in materials.

4. How do phonons affect the thermal properties of materials?

Phonons play a crucial role in determining the thermal conductivity, specific heat, and thermal expansion of materials. Their interactions with other quasiparticles and defects in the crystal lattice can greatly impact these thermal properties.

5. What is the importance of understanding k-vectors and Brillouin Zone?

Understanding k-vectors and the Brillouin Zone is essential for studying the behavior of phonons and electrons in materials. It allows scientists to predict and control the thermal, electrical, and optical properties of materials, which has important applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and renewable energy.