Rigid Bodies; Euler's Eq of Motion derivation

In summary, to derive Euler's equations of motion for a rigid body from the Lagrange formulation, we need to express the kinetic energy in terms of the Euler angles and their derivatives. Then, we can use the Lagrange equation for each Euler angle to derive the three equations of motion.
logic smogic
Problem
Derive Euler's equations of motion for a rigid body from the Lagrange formulation (for generalized coordinate [tex]\psi[/tex], the third Euler angle).

Applicable Formulae
Euler's equations of motion (what we are trying to derive) are:

[tex]I_{1} \dot{\omega_{1}} - \omega_{2} \omega_{3} (I_{2}-I_{3}) = N_{1}[/tex]
[tex]I_{2} \dot{\omega_{2}} - \omega_{3} \omega_{1} (I_{3}-I_{1}) = N_{2}[/tex]
[tex]I_{3} \dot{\omega_{3}} - \omega_{1} \omega_{2} (I_{1}-I_{2}) = N_{3}[/tex]

Lagrange Formulation:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot{q_{j}}} \right) - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_{j}} = Q_{j} [/tex]

Attempt at a solution

It seems I need an expression for the kinetic energy T of the rigid body in terms of the Euler angles. I would then plug that into the Lagrange equation above for [tex]\psi[/tex], and reduce it to the desired form.

The kinetic energy is given by:

[tex]T = \frac{\vec{\omega}\cdot\bar{I}\cdot\vec{\omega}}{2}[/tex]

and the angular velocity in terms of Euler angles is:

[tex]\vec{\omega_{x,y,z}}=\left( \begin{array}{c} \dot{\phi} sin\theta sin\psi + \dot{\theta} cos\psi \\ \dot{\phi} sin\theta cos\psi - \dot{\theta} sins\psi \\ \dot{\phi}cos\theta + \dot{\psi} \end{array} \right) \cdot \left( \begin{array}{c} \hat{x} \\ \hat{y} \\ \hat{z} \end{array} \right)[/tex]

I've already started working on it, but it seems like a lot of work. Am I on the right track, or is there something I'm missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track! Your approach of using the kinetic energy and angular velocity in terms of Euler angles is correct. However, there is one more step that you need to take to derive Euler's equations of motion.

In the Lagrange formulation, the generalized coordinates q_j are used to describe the configuration of the system. In this case, we can use the Euler angles as our generalized coordinates. This means that we need to express the kinetic energy in terms of the Euler angles and their derivatives, rather than the angular velocity.

To do this, we can use the relationship between the angular velocity and the Euler angles that you have already provided. We can then use the chain rule to express the kinetic energy in terms of the Euler angles and their derivatives.

Once you have the expression for the kinetic energy in terms of the Euler angles and their derivatives, you can plug it into the Lagrange equation for \psi and reduce it to the desired form. This will give you the first Euler's equation of motion.

You will need to repeat this process for the other two Euler's equations, using the Lagrange equation for \theta and \phi. It may seem like a lot of work, but this approach is the most systematic and will give you the desired result.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are rigid bodies in physics?

Rigid bodies are objects or systems of multiple objects that maintain their shape and size, and their particles remain at a fixed distance from each other, even when subjected to external forces or torques. This means that the relative positions of the particles within the body do not change.

2. What is Euler's equation of motion?

Euler's equation of motion is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics that describes the rotational motion of a rigid body. It states that the rate of change of angular momentum of a body is equal to the sum of the external torques acting on the body.

3. How is Euler's equation of motion derived?

Euler's equation of motion is derived by applying Newton's second law of motion to a rigid body rotating about a fixed axis. This involves considering the forces and torques acting on the body and using the principles of vector calculus to express them in terms of the body's mass, moments of inertia, and angular velocity.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving Euler's equation of motion?

The derivation of Euler's equation of motion assumes that the body is rigid, meaning that it does not deform under the influence of external forces. It also assumes that the body is rotating about a fixed axis, and that the external forces and torques acting on the body are due to conservative forces, such as gravity.

5. What are the applications of Euler's equation of motion?

Euler's equation of motion has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of rotational motion. It is used to analyze the behavior of spinning objects, such as gyroscopes, and to design systems involving rotating components, such as engines and turbines. It is also an essential tool in the study of celestial mechanics, as it can be used to describe the rotational motion of planets and other celestial bodies.