How Does Changing Wire Dimensions Affect a Capacitor's Discharge Time Constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the time constant of a circuit and the factors that affect it, namely the length and diameter of the resistor. The time constant of the circuit is faster when the diameter of the wire is larger and slower when the length is longer. Resistance is inversely proportional to the diameter squared, which can be shown by the equation R = ρl/A.
denian
capacitor --> time constant

i'm blur with this q.

a capacitor discharges through a resistor made of a length of wire. the time constant of the circuit is [tau1]. when the resistor is substituted with another wire made of the same metal but of twice the diameter and twice the length of the first wire, the time constant of the circuit is [tau2]
what is the ratio of [tau2] : [tau1]

the answer i get is 2 : 1
but the answer is 1 : 2

please explain the method i should use.

Physics news on Phys.org
What method DID you use?

A good analogy for electricity through a wire is water through a pipe. If one pipe has a larger diameter than another will water go through it faster or slower? Will it take more or less time to empty a tank?

denian said:
please explain the method i should use.
Two questions for you:
(1) How do you calculate the time constant of an RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit?
(2) How does resistance depend on diameter and length?

The more you show us of how you did it, the quicker we can help you.

i was wrong.
the method i used is
[tau] is proportional to R
and R is directly proportional with length
so, that is why i get 2:1

i did not consider the diameter factor.

denian said:
i did not consider the diameter factor.
And resistance is inversely proportional to diameter squared.

thank you.
but can we actually prove that it is inversely proportional to ( diameter )^2 ?

denian said:
but can we actually prove that it is inversely proportional to ( diameter )^2 ?
Not sure what you mean by "prove", but you should know the relationship between resistance and length, area, and resistivity (ρ, which depends on the material):
[tex] R = \frac{\rho l}{A}[/tex]

i haven't learn that.
thank you, doc al.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. What is the time constant of a capacitor?

The time constant of a capacitor is a measure of how quickly it charges or discharges. It is determined by the product of the capacitance and the resistance in the circuit. It is denoted by the symbol "τ" (tau) and is measured in seconds.

3. How is the time constant calculated?

The time constant (τ) of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the capacitance (C) by the resistance (R) in the circuit. This can be expressed as: τ = C x R

4. What is the significance of the time constant in a capacitor?

The time constant is important because it determines the speed at which a capacitor charges or discharges. A smaller time constant means that the capacitor will charge or discharge quickly, while a larger time constant means it will take longer.

5. How does the time constant affect the behavior of a capacitor in a circuit?

The time constant affects the behavior of a capacitor in a circuit by determining the rate at which it charges or discharges. It also affects the amount of energy that can be stored in the capacitor, as a longer time constant allows for a larger charge to be stored. Additionally, the time constant can also affect the frequency response of a circuit, as it determines the rate at which the capacitor can respond to changes in the input signal.