Total mass of galaxy, circular acceleration and gravity

In summary, the Sun orbits the black hole in the center of the Milky Way galaxy at a speed of approximately 217,817 meters per second, taking 225 million years to make one revolution. The mass contained inside the Sun's orbit is estimated to be 1.75 * 10^41 kilograms, while the total mass of the Milky Way galaxy is roughly 5 times larger.
Maiia

Homework Statement

The Sun orbits the black hole in the center of the Milky Way galaxy. It takes approx 225million years for the Sun to make one revolution, and the Sun is approx 26,000 light-years away. Estimate the mass of the galaxy contained inside the Sun's orbit. If there is roughly 5 times more mass in the Milky Way galaxy outside of the Sun's orbit than inside, estimate the total mass galaxy.

could someone please check my work on this problem? I don't seem to be getting the same answer as my teacher did.

Homework Equations

d=vt
v=2pi(r)/T
V^2(r)/G= mass of galaxy

The Attempt at a Solution

1. d=vt
v=speed of light= 3 * 10^8m/s
t=1yr converted to sec * 26,000 yrs= 8.19936*10^11 sec
substituting numbers: d=radius= 2.459808*10^20 m

2. v=2pi(r)/T
where r= answer in 1. and T=225mill years conv to seconds=7.0956 * 10^15sec
plugging in, I get: 217817.1792m/s

3. v^2(r)/G= mass galaxy
plugging in v as answer to 2. and r as answer to 1, I get: mass total galaxy= 1.75 * 10^41kg

Physics news on Phys.org
A light year is a unit of distance, not time. It's the distance light will travel in vacuum for one year. Use this distance to calculate the tangential velocity of the sun. Your approach states the tangential velocity of the sun is the speed of light.

? I thought I did use that distance to calculate the tangential velocity of the sun...

What is the total mass of a galaxy?

The total mass of a galaxy refers to the combined mass of all the stars, gas, and dark matter within it. This can range from a few hundred billion to trillions of solar masses.

How is circular acceleration calculated in a galaxy?

Circular acceleration in a galaxy is calculated using the equation a = v^2 / r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of a star or object in circular orbit, and r is the distance from the center of the galaxy. This equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion.

What role does gravity play in determining the motion of objects in a galaxy?

Gravity is the dominant force that determines the motion of objects within a galaxy. The gravitational force between the objects and the total mass of the galaxy determines the circular acceleration and therefore the velocity and orbit of the objects.

Why is dark matter important in understanding the total mass of a galaxy?

Dark matter is important in understanding the total mass of a galaxy because it makes up a significant portion of the total mass and cannot be detected through traditional means like light. It is only through its gravitational effects that we can infer its existence and impact on the motions of objects in a galaxy.

How does the total mass of a galaxy affect its structure and evolution?

The total mass of a galaxy plays a critical role in its structure and evolution. The more massive a galaxy is, the stronger its gravitational pull, leading to a denser central bulge, more tightly bound stars, and a more stable shape. Mass also determines the amount of gas and star formation, as well as the potential for interactions and mergers with other galaxies.