Molecular Dynamics vs Rigid Body Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities and differences between molecular dynamics (MD) and rigid body dynamics (RBD). The speaker asks if RBD software, such as ODE, can be used for MD simulation and what modifications would need to be made. The other speaker mentions that there are clever ways to use MD alone for simulating molecules as spheres connected by rods. They also bring up the effects of bond angles and rotations in molecules, and mention that they want to simulate all major effects such as vibrations and rotations. They also consider searching for free software specifically designed for MD simulation.
alpha_wolf
How different/similar is molecular dynamics from rigid body dynamics? Could I use RBD software such as ODE to simulate MD? What assumptions/modifications would I need to make for this to work (e.g. treat atoms as rigid spheres connected through some special type of joints)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If all you want to do is simulate molecules as spheres connected together by rods (I assume that's what you are thinking about) then there are some clever ways to get MD alone to do it. I think it's covered in D C Rapaport's "The Art of Molecular Dynamics Simulation".

Matt

Remember, bond angles are not perfectly "rigid". And rotations are often allowed in molecules lacking a large steric asymmetry.

I think many of the effects translate fairly well. Consider the coriolis effect in regards to molecular rotation, such as CO2. (Atkins discusses this phenomenon in his book on quantum chemistry.)

Gokul43201 said:
Remember, bond angles are not perfectly "rigid". And rotations are often allowed in molecules lacking a large steric asymmetry.
Yes, I know. Generally, I want to simulate all the major effects such as vibrations, rotations, etc. The reason I was asking about similarity to RBD, is because I am not familiar with any free software that is specifically designed for MD simulation. Come to think of it, I should do a search.

1. What is the main difference between Molecular Dynamics and Rigid Body Dynamics?

Molecular Dynamics (MD) is a simulation technique that models the behavior of individual atoms and molecules in a system, taking into account their interactions and motion. Rigid Body Dynamics (RBD) is a simulation technique that models the movement of larger, rigid objects as a whole.

2. Which type of system is better suited for Molecular Dynamics?

Molecular Dynamics is better suited for systems with a large number of atoms or molecules that interact with each other, such as liquids, gases, and solids. It is also useful for studying changes in the structure and behavior of these systems over time.

3. Can Rigid Body Dynamics be used to model the behavior of individual atoms and molecules?

No, Rigid Body Dynamics is not suitable for modeling the behavior of individual atoms and molecules. It is designed for larger, rigid objects that move as a whole, rather than individual particles.

4. Which type of simulation is more computationally expensive?

Molecular Dynamics simulations are typically more computationally expensive than Rigid Body Dynamics simulations. This is because MD simulations require more detailed calculations and interactions between individual particles, while RBD simulations can simplify the movement of larger objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using Molecular Dynamics or Rigid Body Dynamics?

Both methods have their own limitations. Molecular Dynamics simulations are limited by the accuracy of the force fields used to model the interactions between particles. Rigid Body Dynamics simulations may not accurately capture the behavior of flexible or deformable objects. It is important to carefully consider the system being studied and the goals of the simulation when choosing between these two techniques.