What factors affect the coherence of waves?

• Thread starter alchemist7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, coherence and incoherence are statistical properties of a collection of oscillators. In highly coherent fields, the relative phase remains constant, while in highly incoherent fields, the relative phase changes rapidly. Coherence can be controlled by decreasing spatial coherence through various methods such as reflection or transmission, and increasing temporal coherence through the use of spectral filters.
alchemist7
I do understand the definition that their initial phase different is not constant. but i just cannot imagine what kind of wave has changing initial phase. isn't initial phase the phase at the time 0? how can it change?

Physics news on Phys.org
Incoherent waves have really bad lisps and they usually stutter.

Coherent waves have constant relative phase if I recall correctly. For most cases this means that the waves are the same frequency. Monochromatic sources like a laser are an example of a coherent source. Shifts in amplitude also introduce incoherence too I think.

An example of an incoherent wave would be the sodium arc lamps used for street lamps that have a doublet yellow line at about 5880 Angstroms. All of the photons are incoherent, having neither constant phase nor exact wavelength as any other photons.

alchemist7 said:
I do understand the definition that their initial phase different is not constant. but i just cannot imagine what kind of wave has changing initial phase.

Suppose you have a bunch of short wavetrains that have finite lengths (and durations), and the same frequency and wavelength, but start at randomly different times. Now superpose them to form a resultant wave.

Coherence (and incoherence) are statistical properties of a collection of oscillators. In highly coherent fields, the relative phase stays constant in space and time. For highly incoherent fields, the relative phase changes rapidly. One can have spatial coherence and temporal coherence, and control them separately.

Standard ways of decreasing the spatial coherence is by transmission or reflection off a moving diffuse surface, or multiple reflections from a highly diffuse surface (integrating sphere). The spatial coherence can be increased by using a spatial filter (pinhole). Temporal coherence can be increased by spectral filters.

1. What are incoherent waves?

Incoherent waves are waves that have no specific phase relationship between each other. This means that the waves do not have a constant frequency or wavelength, and the amplitude and direction of the waves are constantly changing.

2. How are incoherent waves different from coherent waves?

Incoherent waves are different from coherent waves in that they do not have a consistent phase relationship, while coherent waves do. This means that coherent waves have a constant frequency, wavelength, and amplitude, while incoherent waves do not.

3. What are some examples of incoherent waves?

Some examples of incoherent waves include sound waves in a crowded room, ocean waves, and light waves from a light bulb. These waves do not have a consistent phase relationship and therefore are considered to be incoherent.

4. How do incoherent waves affect communication systems?

Incoherent waves can cause interference and distortion in communication systems. This is because the waves do not have a consistent phase relationship, which can result in overlapping and canceling out of signals, leading to poor communication.

5. Can incoherent waves be controlled or manipulated?

Incoherent waves cannot be controlled or manipulated in the same way that coherent waves can. Since they do not have a consistent phase relationship, it is difficult to predict or control their behavior. However, techniques such as signal processing and filtering can be used to mitigate the effects of incoherent waves in communication systems.