I have a question about the value of limit.

In summary, the limit being evaluated is (-2x^2+4x/x-2) as x approaches 2. After plugging in the value 2, the result was 0/0. There were three possible final answers discussed: A) Does not exist, B) 0, and C) 1. However, after further analysis and advice, it was determined that the correct answer is -4. The incorrect answers were based on the misunderstanding that 0/0 cannot be DNE, but in fact it can represent a limit that does not exist. The correct answer was found by factoring the numerator and cancelling the common factor with the denominator.
stanton
I evaluated a limit which is [limit x approaches 2 (-2x^2+4x/x-2)]
I plugged value 2 into the limit. So, -2(4)+8/2-2 and I got 0/0.
However, I came up to three possible final answer and I am not sure which is the real final answer.
I have thought about it, and I asked for people's advice, but they all had different answers. So here is the three answer which came out from the discussion with people, 1, 2, 3.
"The answer is A)Does not exist" 1 said.
"No, the answer is B)0" this is No.2 and my idea.
"Hey, how about C)1?" 3 insisted.
So I came here to hear what people think about this. I will tell you what I tried. About answer A from person number 1, as you know, if I got an answer 7/0, the limit would be DNE(does not exists). So why not 0/0 can't be DNE?
Then how about 0? 2 and I think this is the answer but...
Is it 1 from person number 3, because 1/1 is 1, 2/2 is 1,3/3 is 1 and so forth?
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to factor the numerator. You will see that a factor of the numerator is the factor that is in the denominator. These will cancel and you will be able to just plug in the 2 and get a real answer.

When an expression evaluates to something of the form 0/0, it is called an indeterminate quotient. There are more advanced methods (usually seen midway through Calculus I) that can handle these better. It is unfortunately the case that nothing about the limit can be deduced from the knowledge that something an indeterminate quotient of the form 0/0. The limit may exist (i.e. converges to a limit L), be infinitely divergent, or be just plain undefined. Note that converging to a limit and diverging to an infinity are both defined limits while only converging is a limit that exists. Stating that a limit does not exist is not fully answering the question.

All limits below are indeterminate (0/0) and as can be seen each is different in behavior.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2}{x^2} = 1.[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x^3}= \infty.[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x^3-x^2}{x} = 0.[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2} \frac{x^2-4}{x^2+x-6} = \frac{4}{5}.[/tex]

--Elucidus

stanton said:
I evaluated a limit which is [limit x approaches 2 (-2x^2+4x/x-2)]
I plugged value 2 into the limit. So, -2(4)+8/2-2 and I got 0/0.
However, I came up to three possible final answer and I am not sure which is the real final answer.
I have thought about it, and I asked for people's advice, but they all had different answers. So here is the three answer which came out from the discussion with people, 1, 2, 3.
"The answer is A)Does not exist" 1 said.
"No, the answer is B)0" this is No.2 and my idea.
"Hey, how about C)1?" 3 insisted.
So I came here to hear what people think about this. I will tell you what I tried. About answer A from person number 1, as you know, if I got an answer 7/0, the limit would be DNE(does not exists). So why not 0/0 can't be DNE?
Then how about 0? 2 and I think this is the answer but...
Is it 1 from person number 3, because 1/1 is 1, 2/2 is 1,3/3 is 1 and so forth?
Please help.
None of those answers is correct. The fact that the numerator is 0 when x= 2 tells you that x- 2 is a factor of the denominator and so can be cancelled. Like w3390 said, factor the numerator and cancel.

Now I see what was wrong with my calculation!
(-2x)(x-2)/(x-2) and by deletling (x-2), (-2x) left. So the answer is -4.
I thank all for good advices! Every answer was very helpful.

What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value towards which a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a specific value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a particular point.

Why is the limit important?

The limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point. It allows us to make predictions and solve problems in calculus, physics, and other fields that involve continuous change. Without the concept of limit, many important mathematical and scientific concepts would not be possible.

How is the limit calculated?

The limit is calculated by evaluating the function or sequence at values that are closer and closer to the specified point. This is done using algebraic manipulation, graphing, or numerical methods such as approximations and iterations.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function or sequence as its input or index approaches the specified point from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function or sequence as its input or index approaches the specified point from both directions, left and right. In other words, a two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function or sequence on both sides of the specified point.

How is the concept of limit used in real-life situations?

The concept of limit is used in various real-life situations, such as predicting population growth, analyzing stock market trends, and understanding the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in engineering for designing structures that can withstand extreme conditions, such as bridges that can withstand strong winds or buildings that can resist earthquakes. Additionally, the concept of limit is used in computer science in the development of algorithms and data analysis.