Neutron Anti-Neutron Anihilation

• Thread starter ScienceNerd36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary, anti-neutrons and protons would annihilate via the strong interaction, resulting in the creation of pions and other mesons. This is due to the fundamental force of attraction between particles and anti-particles, which allows them to collide and transform into other neutral systems. This is different from the annihilation of charged particles, which is caused by an electrostatic interaction. Virtual transitions between particles and anti-particles can also occur, but they are primarily due to the weak interaction and may result in different reaction products. In the case of an anti-neutron and a proton in a tank of liquid hydrogen, the dominant reaction would be the creation of pions through the strong interaction.
ScienceNerd36
Do Neutrons and anti-Neutrons annihilate? I can't imagine any reason why they would, I just thought I'd check.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Why do you think they wouldn't annihilate?

jtbell said:
Why do you think they wouldn't annihilate?

My logic was: a neurton is it's own anti-particle, and seeing as atomic nuclei can exist the neutrons in the atomic nucleus aren't anihilating each other, hence neutrons shouldn't anihilate anti-neutrons. This logic worked for me because I figured particles only annihilated anti-particles becuase the electric attraction caused them to collide, and seeing as they have equal mass ever single part of the particle collided with another anti-part, which is they there is no mass left, only energy.

Neutron is not its own anti-particle. In atomic nuclei there are only neutrons and protons.

Fair enough, thanks for all the help :)

ScienceNerd36 said:
I figured particles only annihilated anti-particles becuase the electric attraction caused them to collide

The molecules in a gas are electrically neutral, and therefore have no electrical attraction to each other (except for the small van der Waals force when they get really close to each other), but they still collide with each other a lot. :smile:

So, what is the force that acts on particles and anti-particles which causes them to annihilate? In other words, what is the force that attracts them to one another?

If the particle and its antiparticle are charged, there is an electrostatic interaction (attraction). Normally they annihilate when they are close enough to each other, like an electron and positron in positronium atom. If they are neutral like neutrons, there is still a short-range strong (nuclear) interaction that makes it possible to annihilate and transform into another neutral system.

Last edited:
So it's still a fundamental force acting on the particles, drawing them close together which then allows them to annihlate.

Now I'm off to find out how annihilation works. Any help from you fellas would be much appreciated.

If a thermalized anti-neutron were in a tank of liquid hydrogen, would it annihilate with a proton? Protons can exist in a virtual state of a neutron, a positron, and an antineutrino for short times (hbar ~ 6 x 10-22 sec). Anti-neutrons can also exist in both real and virtual states of an antiproton, a positron, and an antineutrino.
Bob S

I do not think so. These virtual transitions are due to the weak interaction. I think some strong-interaction transformations will dominate - the reaction products will be different (mesons?).

Bob_for_short said:
I do not think so. These virtual transitions are due to the weak interaction. I think some strong-interaction transformations will dominate - the reaction products will be different (mesons?).
I agree. As soon as the anti-neutron annihilates, there will be "pionization", with an average of ~ 7 pions (as I recall) in the pion cloud for antiproton annihilation. There will not be two back-to-back 939 MeV gammas (maybe rarely), like in positron annihilation.
Bob S

Three pions for sure - the number of quarks is six. The rest depends on excess of energy.

Bob S said:
If a thermalized anti-neutron were in a tank of liquid hydrogen, would it annihilate with a proton?
An anti-neutron and a proton would annihilate to pions via the strong interaction. You don't need a neutron.

1. What is neutron anti-neutron annihilation?

Neutron anti-neutron annihilation is a process in which a neutron particle and its antiparticle, the anti-neutron, collide and are converted into other particles, typically protons and anti-protons.

2. What is the significance of neutron anti-neutron annihilation in particle physics?

Neutron anti-neutron annihilation is significant because it provides a way to study the fundamental properties of subatomic particles and the forces that govern them. It also helps us better understand the behavior of matter and antimatter.

3. How is neutron anti-neutron annihilation different from other types of particle collisions?

Neutron anti-neutron annihilation is unique because it involves the annihilation of two particles with equal mass and opposite charge. This results in the conversion of mass into energy, following Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. Other types of collisions may involve particles with different masses and charges.

4. Can neutron anti-neutron annihilation occur in nature?

Yes, neutron anti-neutron annihilation can occur naturally in high-energy cosmic ray collisions. However, it is more commonly studied in laboratory settings using accelerators to create the necessary high energies.

5. What practical applications does neutron anti-neutron annihilation have?

Neutron anti-neutron annihilation has practical applications in medical imaging and cancer treatment. The annihilation process produces gamma rays, which can be used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans to create images of the body's internal structures. It can also be used in targeted radiation therapy for cancer treatment.