Understanding Buoyant Force: Impact of Density on Objects Immersed in Water

In summary: The block sinks when density is greater than 1. It will bob up and down for a short while but will eventually sink. When density is less than 1, the block floats. It will stay at the same height for a longer period of time before sinking.
akatsafa
If two objects are the same shape and have the same dimensions, but one object has a bigger density, does that affect the buoyant force? Will the object with a bigger density have a greater buoyant force? They're both immersed in water.

I say no because the buoyant force depends on the volume of fluid displaced and the density of the liquid. Since I don't know whether the objects are more or less dense than water, then the density of the objects wouldn't matter, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If two objects have the same volume but one is made of a more dense substance how does that affect the mass of said object? How does the bouyant force relate to volume displaced? Which body will displace more liquid?

I'd recommend delving into the above questions then when you have an answer go here: http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph11e/buoyforce.htm play around with the density only and see how the bouyant force changes.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the website and changed only the density. It did not affect the buoyant force at all. Thank you. That was a good site!

I'm sorry it worked when I first tried it. There seems to be a bug in the applet. It's funny, you can find that applet in dozens of places and each one is broken...

Anywho,

[tex]
F_B=\rho_{water}V_{displaced}g
[/tex]

or

[tex]
F_B=m_{object}g
[/tex]

Look into archimedes principle. Eurecha!

Here: this works a lot better:
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/buoyant/buoyant.html

Use the mouse to pick the grey block on the right up and place it in the water. The density is initiall 2. The block sinks. There is a label below the textfields that indicates bouyant force. Now play with the density. If density is made less than 1 the block will float. wath bouyant force. If density is greater than 1 the block sinks. Watch the force. The block will bob up and down a few times but eventually stabilize.

Here's another one. Select different materials (don't change the volume) and watch the change in buoyant force. http://www.xmission.com/~locutus/applets/Buoyancy.html

Hopefully everything will work correctly this time.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the first site, but I'm still a little confused. If I don't put a density less than one in the space, the buoyant force is the same. I put in 4 and then 10, it showed that the buoyant force was the same, but when I put less than one, it showed a smaller buoyant force. The question that I was asked was just if a bigger density made a larger buoyant force than a smaller density. It never specified if it was less than one, so how should I answer this question?

What happened to the block when you had a density greater than 1 (ie greater than the density of the fluid)? Now compare that to what happened to the block when density was less than 1 (ie less than the density of the fluid)? The block behaved differently in both situations.

I presented two equations each of which corresponds to the response of the block. If you think about it (analyze what is happening with the buoyant force for various densities above and below 1).

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is an upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or wholly submerged in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How is buoyant force calculated?

Buoyant force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid and the acceleration due to gravity. This can be expressed as Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect buoyant force?

Buoyant force is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the shape and size of the object and its depth in the fluid.

4. How does buoyant force relate to Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This principle is used to determine the buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid.

5. Can buoyant force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, in certain cases, buoyant force can be greater than the weight of an object. This happens when the object is less dense than the fluid it is submerged in, causing it to float. In this case, the weight of the displaced fluid is greater than the weight of the object, resulting in a net upward force.