How Long Does It Take to Recover from a Bankhart Lesion Surgery?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Tiki112
  • Start date
In summary, a person shared their experience of dislocating their shoulder and undergoing surgery one month later. They have been doing aggressive physical therapy and are now using 8-10lb weights for most movements. However, they are experiencing pain in the medial shoulder muscle and are wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar surgery and how long it took them to heal. Another person who had the same surgery 20 years ago shared their experience and advised incorporating swimming into the recovery process. They also mentioned that it took them six months to feel like they were making progress and that they have adapted to their limited range of motion in the affected shoulder. Lastly, they reminded the person to be patient and not to push themselves too hard to avoid setbacks.
Tiki112
On 7-4-09 I completely dislocated my shoulder including the bankhart. One month later I had the surgurey and everything went well according to the Dr. I've been doing aggressive PT and have just started using 8-10lb wieghts for most of the movements. The pain has gone away from the joint but now it's more the medial shoulder muscle that hurts. It always feels tight and although I'm making progress I just wanted to know if anyone else as had this surgurey and how long it took them. I really just want to go back to working out, pushups and oh how I miss my pullups. I'm trying to be paitient and I'm still inside the 6 months I've heard that it can take to heel. Anyone else gone through this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi Tiki - I had that same sugery, some 20 years ago. I did a lot of swimming to supplement PT (with the blessing of my surgeon) and I feel the swimming was far more helpful than PT in relieving the tightness. It did take a long time to recover, though...I finally felt like I was making good progress six months after surgery.

My surgeon made it clear to me that I will never have full range of motion, and in fact I should not even try, as it might ruin the surgical repairs. So I've adapted to my limited range in that shoulder and I hardly notice it now.

I'm assuming you're male, so 8 pounds is a good weight to start with (I'm female so I would have used 2 or 3 lbs). Be patient, I know it's hard but you don't want a set back. Good luck!

I am not able to provide specific medical advice or personal experiences. However, I can speak to the general recovery process for a Bankhart lesion and provide some information on potential timelines for healing.

A Bankhart lesion is a specific type of shoulder injury that involves a tear in the labrum, which is a ring of cartilage that helps stabilize the shoulder joint. This type of injury often occurs with a shoulder dislocation, as was the case for the individual in this scenario.

The recovery process for a Bankhart lesion typically involves surgery to repair the torn labrum, followed by a period of rest and physical therapy to help regain strength and mobility in the shoulder. It is important to follow the recommended rehabilitation program and not rush back into strenuous activities too soon, as this can increase the risk of re-injury.

In terms of timelines, it is difficult to give an exact estimate as every individual's healing process is unique. However, it is not uncommon for recovery from a Bankhart lesion to take 6-8 months, or even longer in some cases. It is important to continue working closely with your doctor and physical therapist to monitor your progress and make adjustments to your rehabilitation plan as needed.

While it may be frustrating to not be able to resume your previous workout routine, it is important to be patient and allow your shoulder to fully heal before returning to strenuous activities such as pushups and pullups. Rushing back into these activities too soon could potentially cause further damage and delay your recovery.

In summary, it is not uncommon to experience some discomfort and tightness in the shoulder muscles during the recovery process from a Bankhart lesion. It is important to continue following your rehabilitation plan and allow yourself enough time to fully heal before returning to your previous level of physical activity. If you have any concerns or questions, be sure to speak with your doctor for personalized advice and guidance.

1. What is a Bankhart lesion?

A Bankhart lesion is a type of shoulder injury that occurs when the labrum, a piece of cartilage that lines the shoulder socket, is torn or detached from the bone. This can happen as a result of a dislocated shoulder or repetitive stress on the joint.

2. How long does it take to recover from a Bankhart lesion?

The recovery time for a Bankhart lesion can vary depending on the severity of the injury and the individual's overall health. It typically takes 3-6 months for the labrum to fully heal, and physical therapy may be necessary to regain strength and range of motion in the shoulder.

3. What are the symptoms of a Bankhart lesion?

The most common symptoms of a Bankhart lesion include shoulder pain, weakness, and instability. Some people may also experience a popping or clicking sensation in the shoulder joint. These symptoms may worsen with certain movements or activities.

4. Can a Bankhart lesion heal without surgery?

In some cases, a Bankhart lesion may heal on its own with proper rest and rehabilitation. However, if the tear is severe or causing significant instability in the shoulder, surgery may be necessary to repair the labrum and prevent further damage.

5. What can I do to prevent a Bankhart lesion?

To reduce the risk of a Bankhart lesion, it is important to maintain good shoulder strength and flexibility. It is also important to avoid activities that put excessive strain on the shoulder joint, such as repetitive overhead motions. If you have previously dislocated your shoulder, wearing a brace during physical activities may also help prevent future injuries.