Remnance of cast iron vs steel

• Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron Steel
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a machine used for machining steel parts causing low level magnetization of the parts when made of cast iron. It is mentioned that stainless steel does not magnetize, but if the machining process occurs at a high temperature, around 770'C, magnetization can occur. The presence of DC currents in the machine is also brought up, with speculation that they may be in the drive motors. It is suggested to fix the DC currents and then observe if the cast iron parts become magnetized, as cast iron contains a higher amount of carbon and is more easily magnetized.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does it seem reasonable that a machine which has, up until now, been used for machining steel parts without, apparently, leaving them magnetised could be causing low level magnetisation of the same parts when made of cast iron? There are some DC currents flowing in the machine, apparently but suspect that they've not been high enough to magnetise the steel bits.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could be.

Stainless steel does not magnetize (depending on Ni content).
If the process of machining cast iron happens around 770'C magnetization can occur.

Why are there DC currents flowing through the machine?

Lok said:
Could be.

Stainless steel does not magnetize (depending on Ni content).
If the process of machining cast iron happens around 770'C magnetization can occur.

Why are there DC currents flowing through the machine?

I don't think it gets this hot in this machine but I'll enquire.
This isn't stainless steel that I'm comparing it with.
The DC, I think, is in the drive motors. This is a huge machine making car engine parts but I only know of the problem second hand.

sophiecentaur said:
I don't think it gets this hot in this machine but I'll enquire.
This isn't stainless steel that I'm comparing it with.
The DC, I think, is in the drive motors. This is a huge machine making car engine parts but I only know of the problem second hand.

Machining is a very hot process at least where the metal is cut, that is why they use cooling liquid. What type of machining does it do?

Fix the DC (safety first) and then see if it Cast Iron gets magnetized. Cast Iron has 2.1-4% in carbon, so it is easily magnetized.

I would say that it is possible for a machine to cause low level magnetization of steel parts when machining cast iron. Cast iron and steel have different magnetic properties, with cast iron being more susceptible to magnetization. Additionally, the DC currents flowing in the machine may not have been high enough to magnetize steel parts, but they could still be strong enough to cause low level magnetization in cast iron parts. It would be important to thoroughly investigate the magnetic properties and currents of the machine to determine the exact cause of the magnetization in the steel parts. Further testing and analysis would be needed to confirm this hypothesis.

1. What is the difference between cast iron and steel?

Cast iron and steel are both alloys of iron and carbon, but they have different properties due to their different compositions. Cast iron contains a higher amount of carbon and also has small amounts of other elements such as silicon, manganese, and phosphorus. Steel, on the other hand, has a lower carbon content and may also contain other elements such as chromium, nickel, or molybdenum.

2. Which one is stronger, cast iron or steel?

In general, steel is stronger than cast iron. This is because the higher carbon content in cast iron makes it more brittle and prone to cracking under stress. Steel, with its lower carbon content, is more ductile and can withstand higher amounts of stress before breaking.

3. How does the cost of cast iron compare to steel?

Cast iron is typically cheaper than steel. This is because it is easier to produce and does not require as much refining as steel does. However, the cost may vary depending on the specific type and grade of cast iron or steel being compared.

4. What are the main uses of cast iron and steel?

Cast iron is commonly used in applications where its strength and resistance to wear and corrosion are needed, such as in engine blocks, pipes, and cookware. Steel, with its higher strength and versatility, is used in a wide range of industries including construction, automotive, and manufacturing.

5. Can cast iron and steel be used interchangeably?

No, cast iron and steel have different properties and thus cannot be used interchangeably in all applications. Cast iron is better suited for applications that require high compressive strength, while steel is better for applications that require high tensile strength. It is important to use the appropriate material for each specific use case.