Calculating Cat Power: How to Find Horsepower Output

In summary, the cat's average power output during the pushoff period was approximately 0.249 horsepower. This was calculated by finding the amount of potential energy gained during the push and dividing it by the time it took to push off. This result shows the amount of power the cat used to accomplish the feat of leaping onto the table.
freak_boy186

Homework Statement

A 4.50 cat leaps from the floor to the top of a 97.0-cm-high table. If the cat pushes against the floor for 0.230 to accomplish this feat, what was her average power output during the pushoff period? Answer in terms of horsepower.

Homework Equations

W = Fdx
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to start

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much energy did the push give the cat? Do you know the equation for gravitational potential energy?

No, I"m not sure what the equation for gravitational potential energy is...

nevermind! I figured it out!

P.E. = 9.8(4.5)(.97) = 42.777J

42.777/.23 = 185.987W

& 746W = 1hp

185.987/746 = .249hp

1. How is cat power calculated?

Cat power, or horsepower output, is calculated by multiplying torque (in pound-feet) by engine speed (in revolutions per minute) and dividing the result by 5,252.

2. What is the formula for calculating cat power?

The formula for calculating cat power is: horsepower = (torque x engine speed) / 5,252.

3. How can I find the torque and engine speed of my cat?

You can find the torque and engine speed of your cat by using a dynamometer, which measures the power output of an engine. Alternatively, you can look up the specifications for your cat's engine model.

4. What factors can affect the horsepower output of a cat?

Factors that can affect the horsepower output of a cat include engine efficiency, air intake, fuel quality, and engine modifications.

5. Can I increase the horsepower output of my cat?

Yes, you can increase the horsepower output of your cat through various methods such as engine tuning, adding aftermarket parts, and upgrading the air intake and exhaust systems. However, it is important to note that any modifications should be done carefully and with proper knowledge to avoid damaging the engine.