Fluids motion HARD. i attached the file as a PDF check picture from Q4

In summary, as a scientist, you would approach this forum post with a methodical and analytical mindset, seeking to understand and solve the problem while also acknowledging any limitations or uncertainties in the solution.
gikwiye

Homework Statement

µ

Q.4 An incompressible fluid of density ρ flows steadily through a two-dimensional infinite row of fixed vanes,
a few of which are shown below. The vane spacing is a. The velocities V1 and V2 and pressures p1 and p2
are all constant along their respective stations, (1) and (2). The directions of the two velocities are given by
the angles β1 and β2, as shown. Find the horizontal and vertical components of the force necessary to keep
one vane in place. Express your answer in terms of ρ, a, p1, p2, V1, β1 and β2.

Homework Equations

bernoulli equation
Newton equation of momentum: mass flow out X velocity 2 - mass flow in X velocity 1= forces acting on Control volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

I find in the x-direction ( assuming unit depth): rho X a X V22cos (beta 2) - rho X a X V21= (p1-p2)X a + Fx.
I think Fy=0 but I'm not sure so please help I've spent hours on this

Attachments

• PS4.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
problem and I'm still not sure

your first step in responding to this forum post would be to clarify any uncertainties or questions you have about the problem. This could involve asking for clarification on the given information, such as the meaning of "station" or the assumptions made about the fluid. It could also involve asking for more specific information, such as the dimensions of the vanes or the units of measurement used for the velocities and pressures.

Once you have a clear understanding of the problem, you can then begin to work on a solution. In this case, you could start by applying the Bernoulli equation and the Newton equation of momentum to the given information. From there, you can use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variables and ultimately find the horizontal and vertical components of the force necessary to keep one vane in place.

It is also important to note any assumptions or simplifications made in your solution, as these can affect the accuracy of your results. Additionally, it may be helpful to double-check your calculations and ensure that your final answer is in the correct units for force.

In conclusion, as a scientist, your approach to this forum post would involve clarifying any uncertainties, applying relevant equations, and clearly presenting your solution and any assumptions made.

1. What is fluid motion?

Fluid motion is the movement of a substance that can flow and change shape, such as liquids and gases. It is caused by the forces of pressure and gravity acting on the fluid.

2. How is fluid motion measured?

Fluid motion is typically measured using a variety of techniques such as flow meters, velocity probes, and pressure sensors. These devices measure properties such as velocity, pressure, and flow rate to determine the characteristics of fluid motion.

3. What factors affect fluid motion?

Several factors can affect fluid motion, including viscosity (resistance to flow), density (mass per unit volume), and external forces such as gravity or pressure. The shape and surface area of the object through which the fluid is moving can also impact fluid motion.

4. How does fluid motion impact daily life?

Fluid motion plays a critical role in many aspects of daily life. For example, it is essential for the functioning of our cardiovascular system, transportation of nutrients and waste in our bodies, and weather patterns such as wind and ocean currents. It also affects the operation of machines and processes, such as pumps and turbines.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid motion?

Fluid motion has numerous practical applications, including in the fields of engineering, medicine, and environmental science. Some common examples include designing efficient aerodynamics for airplanes, optimizing water flow in irrigation systems, and studying blood flow for medical diagnoses.