Thermocouple ECU/Amp design

In summary, the conversation discusses a car's motronic 2.7 fuel injection system and the use of a thermocouple probe in the exhaust pipe to send signals to the fuel injection ECU. It is mentioned that the probe sends 0v if the temperature is 920 degrees and 13v if it is above 980 degrees. The speaker is unsure of what signal is sent if the temperature is below 920 and asks for ideas on how to achieve this using an AD595 chip. They also mention the need for a circuit to send 13v output at 980 degrees and flash a bulb above 900 degrees and keep it on above 940 degrees.
meestahbig
Hi everyone, please let me know if this posting belongs elsewhere.

I have a car that runs a motronic 2.7 fuel injection system and with that there is a thermocouple probe in the exhaust pipe (standard K-type thermocouple). This thermocouple goes into a black box which then sends out a signal to the fuel injection ECU telling the system how how the exhaust is.

And actually it seems its much simpler than that. It does not tell the fule injection ECU the temperature, what it does is it sends 0v if the temp is 920 degrees and sends 13v if the temp is above 980. I'm not sure what signal it sends if the temp is below 920, maye its 5v.

does anyon know how this would work. could I just the AD595 chip. but how would I get the binary state of 0v or 13v?

any ideas. thx, Big

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a little more detail about what I am trying to achieve...

the input is the K-type thermocouple.

This is what I need the circuit to do:

At 980 celcius (+/- 20 degrees), I need it to send 13vdc output. under 980 degrees, the output on this should be 0vdc.

Also, there is another circuit v out that illuminates a small dash panel bulb. above 900 (+/- 20), the bulb should flash. above 940 (+/- 20) the bulb should stay on permanantly.

that's it! LOL.

1. What is a thermocouple ECU/Amp design?

A thermocouple ECU/Amp design is a type of electronic circuit used to measure and amplify the voltage output of a thermocouple. It is used in temperature sensing and control applications, such as in industrial processes or scientific experiments.

2. How does a thermocouple ECU/Amp design work?

A thermocouple ECU/Amp design works by converting the small voltage output of a thermocouple into a larger and more manageable voltage signal. This is achieved through a series of amplification stages, which filter and amplify the signal to make it more accurate and reliable.

3. What are the components of a thermocouple ECU/Amp design?

The main components of a thermocouple ECU/Amp design include an input stage, which receives the voltage output from the thermocouple, an amplifier stage, which amplifies the signal, and a filter stage, which removes any unwanted noise. It also includes a power supply, resistors, capacitors, and other electronic components.

4. What are the key considerations when designing a thermocouple ECU/Amp?

Some key considerations when designing a thermocouple ECU/Amp include selecting the appropriate amplifier and filter components, ensuring proper grounding and shielding to minimize noise, and choosing a suitable power supply. It is also important to consider the operating temperature range and accuracy requirements for the specific application.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with a thermocouple ECU/Amp design?

If you encounter issues with a thermocouple ECU/Amp design, some troubleshooting steps to try include checking for loose connections, testing the circuit with a known input signal, and using a multimeter to measure voltage and resistance. It may also be helpful to consult the datasheet for the specific components used in the design and to double-check the circuit design for any errors.