Position of Ball w/ Initial Velocity 10 m/s After 2.12794 s

In summary, the ball will have a position of 4.07392 meters after 2.12794 seconds if it is thrown downwards with an initial velocity of 10 m/s, and a position of 43.47 meters if it is thrown upwards with an initial velocity of 10 m/s. The formula used for calculating the position is y = Vot + 1/2gt^2, with the value of g being -9.8 m/s^2 due to the acceleration of gravity pointing downwards. It is important to include the direction of the vector when working with calculations involving vectors.
kimikims
A ball has an initial velocity of 10 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

What will be it's postion after 2.12794 s if it is throw

a) down with an initial velocity of 10 m/s? Answer in units of m.

b) up with an initial velocity of 10 m/s? Answer in units of m.

--

I think for b you use:

y = Vot + 1/2gt^2

I got 43.47m, but that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got -1.03, i think your calculations are wrong, and also i forgot if its negative it's pointing down, so it's going down.

Last edited:
use this : y = 10t - 9.8t²/2 and the t is given

the g-vector points downwards the y-axis thus you need to write a minus sign. Watch out when you work with vectors : you have the magnitude of a vector AND the direction of a vector...

marlon

1. What is the position of the ball after 2.12794 seconds?

The position of the ball can be calculated using the formula: X = X0 + V0t + 1/2at2, where X0 is the initial position, V0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. Plugging in the values, we get: X = 0 + (10 m/s)(2.12794 s) + 1/2(0)(2.12794 s)2 = 21.2794 meters.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity of the ball?

The initial velocity of the ball can be calculated using the formula: V0 = (X - X0)/t, where X is the final position, X0 is the initial position, and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get: V0 = (21.2794 m - 0)/2.12794 s = 10 m/s.

3. What is the acceleration of the ball?

Since the ball is moving with a constant velocity of 10 m/s, the acceleration is 0 m/s2. This means that the ball is not accelerating and moving at a constant speed.

4. Can the position of the ball be negative?

Yes, the position of the ball can be negative if it is moving in the negative direction. In this case, the initial position would be a negative value and the ball would move in the negative direction with a negative velocity.

5. How accurate is the calculated position of the ball?

The accuracy of the calculated position depends on the accuracy of the initial values used in the formula. If the initial velocity and time are measured with precision, then the calculated position will also be accurate. However, factors such as air resistance and external forces can affect the accuracy of the calculated position.