Size of the Power Set

In summary, the size of the power set of a set with n elements is 2^n, as each element of the set can either be included or not included in a subset, resulting in 2^n possible combinations. This can also be seen through the binomial expansion of (1+1)^n.
michonamona

Homework Statement

Why is the size of the power set 2^n ?

To elaborate, suppose we have a set B that has n elements. Let C be the set that contains all the possible subset of B. Why is it that |C|=2^n ?

It boggles my mind why the base is 2 for all size of sets.

Thank you,

M

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
michonamona said:

Homework Statement

To elaborate, suppose we have a set B that has n elements. Let C be the set that contains all the possible subset of B. Why is it that |C|=2^n ?

Thank you,

M

Homework Equations

Haha, keep doing combinatorics and a lot of stuff will blow your mind.

I don't want to give too much away, here, I'll be around to help if you need it, but think about the set and the power set of that set as a binary string of length n where each element of the string represents an element of the set.

michonamona said:

Homework Statement

Thank you,

M

Homework Equations

If you have a set with n elements, now many subsets of size 0 are there? Of size 1? Size 2?...Size n? How many total then?

Then think about the binomial expansion of (1+1)n.

What is the size of the power set?

The size of the power set is determined by the number of elements in the original set. If a set has n elements, its power set will have 2^n elements.

How do you calculate the size of the power set?

To calculate the size of the power set, you can use the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the original set. For example, if a set has 3 elements, its power set will have 2^3=8 elements.

What is the difference between a set and a power set?

A set is a collection of unique elements, while a power set is a collection of all possible subsets of the original set. The power set includes the original set, the empty set, and all possible combinations of elements from the original set.

Can the size of the power set be infinite?

Yes, the size of the power set can be infinite, depending on the size of the original set. For example, if the original set has an infinite number of elements, its power set will also have an infinite number of elements.

Why is the size of the power set important in mathematics?

The size of the power set is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the number of possible combinations and subsets of a given set. It is also used in various mathematical concepts and calculations, such as probability, combinatorics, and discrete mathematics.