12 DC Volt Boost to 15 DC Volt - 1 amp

In summary,The Labtech AC adapter's output is 15VDC 1000ma.Using my existing 12VDC power supply (2 - 6VDC inline Deep charge Batteries)may I boost this output to 15VDC by adding 2 ?or? 3 Duracell Rechargeable AA batteries.Duracell posts these NiMH AA as 1.2V / 2450mAh.These AA would be all inline and on the + line of the RV power.Any possible problems I overlooked?How do we estimate how long the AA will last or do we how do we know when the AA batteries need replacement?BoBI would actually be surprised if it didn't run
RV-Traveler
Superb Old Labtech Speakers to add to my RV without 120 Volt AC
The Labtech AC adapter's output is 15VDC 1000ma.
Using my existing 12VDC power supply (2 - 6VDC inline Deep charge Batteries)
may I boost this output to 15VDC by adding 2 ?or? 3 Duracell Rechargeable AA batteries.
Duracell posts these NiMH AA as 1.2V / 2450mAh.
These AA would be all inline and on the + line of the RV power.
Any possible problems I overlooked?
How do we estimate how long the AA will last or do we how do we know when the AA batteries need replacement?
N.B.: All batteries will be charged while driving with the 1000W Powerbright Inverter in my 2500D Silverado.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would highly suggest not doing that. You might be adding smoke and flames along with your speakers.

Try the speakers at 12V and see how that works.

BoB

I would actually be surprised if it didn't run fine off of 12V. Many devices like this will operate on voltages that are slightly higher or lower than they're rated V. You may lose a little volume at max level, but I doubt it will be much. I am running a device that's supposed to take 5VDC and I'm running it from 12VDC. I don't recommend this, but it was a cheap enough device I figured I'd give it a shot.

I also have run a device rated at 12V on a 9V power supply without a problem. I would go ahead and give it a try, just make sure you get the polarity correct, I have seen devices get killed when the polarity is reversed...

For a one-off, I'd just get an Isolated DC-DC converter if this is a concern.

You could then take your 12V input to 15V safely and in a nice little package.
Something like this might work http://products.cui.com/CUI_PTK15-Q24-S15_Datasheet.pdf?fileID=1081

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a DC volt boost?

A DC volt boost is a type of electrical circuit that increases the voltage of a direct current (DC) power source. It is commonly used to power devices that require a higher voltage than the power source can provide.

2. How does a DC volt boost work?

A DC volt boost works by using an inductor and a diode to convert the input voltage into a pulsing current. This pulsing current is then fed through a capacitor to smooth out the voltage and produce a higher output voltage.

3. Why would I need to boost a 12 DC volt to 15 DC volt?

Some devices, such as certain electronic components or appliances, require a specific voltage to function properly. If the power source only provides 12 DC volt, a DC volt boost can be used to increase the voltage to the required 15 DC volt.

4. Is there a limit to how much a DC volt can be boosted?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a DC volt can be boosted. This is determined by the components used in the circuit and the amount of power that can be supplied by the input source. In this case, the maximum output voltage is 15 DC volt.

5. What is the amperage of a 12 DC volt boost to 15 DC volt - 1 amp?

The amperage of a 12 DC volt boost to 15 DC volt - 1 amp refers to the maximum amount of current that the circuit can provide at the boosted voltage. In this case, the circuit can provide a maximum of 1 amp of current at 15 DC volt.