Understanding Trigonometric Inverse Functions - Solving Homework Equations

When you take the sin of both sides, the inverse function cancels out and you are left with x on the right side. So, in summary, the -1 in y = sin-1 x is left out when writing x = sin y because taking the sin of both sides cancels out the inverse function, leaving only x on the right side.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

I understand that y = sin -1 x. However, why is it that when one writes x = sin y, one leaves out the -1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when you invert a trig function, the dependent variable essentially switches from y to x and the independent variable switches from x to y. However, why do you leave out the -1 when you write the inverse sin as x = sin y ?

Physics news on Phys.org
not sure if I understand the question, but if you start from
[tex] y = sin^{-1} x [/tex]

take the sin of both sides
[tex] sin(y) = sin(sin^{-1} x) = x [/tex]

lanedance said:
not sure if I understand the question, but if you start from
[tex] y = sin^{-1} x [/tex]

take the sin of both sides
[tex] sin(y) = sin(sin^{-1} x) = x [/tex]

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. That answers my question though! I had no idea you could take the sin of the sin-1(x) and it would cancel them out. Thank you! :smile:

Well, that is how inverse functions work.

1. What is a trigonometric inverse?

The trigonometric inverse, also known as the arc trigonometric function, is the inverse of a trigonometric function. It is used to find the angle measure of a right triangle given the ratio of its sides.

2. What are the most commonly used trigonometric inverse functions?

The most commonly used trigonometric inverse functions are the inverse sine (arcsine), inverse cosine (arccosine), and inverse tangent (arctangent).

3. How are trigonometric inverse functions represented mathematically?

Trigonometric inverse functions are represented using the prefix "arc" followed by the corresponding trigonometric function. For example, the inverse sine function is represented as arcsin(x).

4. What is the domain and range of a trigonometric inverse function?

The domain of a trigonometric inverse function is the set of values for which the corresponding trigonometric function is defined. The range is the set of possible output values of the inverse function.

5. How are trigonometric inverse functions used in real life?

Trigonometric inverse functions are used in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and navigation. They are used to solve real-life problems involving angles and distances, such as determining the height of a building or the distance between two objects.