Are Men With Cats Considered Odd? Tips for Living Alone with a Feline Companion

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary, Flex is considering getting a cat, but is worried about the judgment he will receive living alone with one. He thinks that a slightly older cat from a shelter or from someone on Craigslist would be a better option.
Congrats on the new kitty, Flex. Men with cats are bad-***. Vikings had cats. Ernest Hemingway had cats. It is very manly to have a toody tat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Congrats on the new kitty, Flex. Men with cats are bad-***. Vikings had cats. Ernest Hemingway had cats. It is very manly to have a toody tat.

Us having lunch together.
20fq98y.jpg

And, the post-lunch snuggle. Yes, she's got a ton of "'tude." Very bad-***.
14mudk9.jpg

An awful picture of me, but it's a pretty good picture of her.

EDIT: I think she was doing her impression of the Firefox logo.

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
I went home for lunch and she was still in there. She didn't eat or do anything while I was gone! I pulled her out (purring) and we had lunch together. I microwaved meatloaf for me and put her food dish next to me on the couch. After staring at me eating for a while, she ate some of her own food. It was the first food she's eaten since I got her.

Then she sneezed all over me.

Adorable.

You're making me want to get a cat. But since my wife is allergic, I will live vicariously through you if that's alright.

Dembadon said:
You're making me want to get a cat. But since my wife is allergic, I will live vicariously through you if that's alright.

Sure, does that give me a semi-socially-acceptable excuse to keep talking... about... my...

oh my god

FlexGunship said:
Sure, does that give me a semi-socially-acceptable excuse to keep talking... about... my...

oh my god

Absolutely. My last cat was killed by coyotes. :cry: I really miss him.

isn't it a bit heartless to keep a cat inside all the time?

Nikitin said:
isn't it a bit heartless to keep a cat inside all the time?
Not at all. An inside cat is a cat that is protected from run-ins with larger predators, and is more likely to live a long and healthy life. Also, some cats kill just because they can. This behavior wreaks havoc on ground-nesting birds, rabbits, etc. At our last house, there were no wrens or ruffed grouse, even though our dead-end street backed onto a dense forest. Too many "outdoor" cats.

Yeah, sure it lives in a golden cage, but if ones cat is running amok in the house, the cat is probably stressed and unhappy..

FlexGunship said:
EDIT: I think she was doing her impression of the Firefox logo.

She does look like the Firefox!

Nikitin said:
Yeah, sure it lives in a golden cage, but if ones cat is running amok in the house, the cat is probably stressed and unhappy..

I'd say it depends on the cat. I've had cats that love the outside, and would run out the door at every chance. But, I've also had a cat that wouldn't stay outside if you threw him out.

My cousin's cat Simon was mostly indoor, but she let him outside daily. Unfortunately, he was torn to shreds one day by a Rottweiler that had gotten off-leash.

simon1.jpg

TylerH said:
I'd say it depends on the cat. I've had cats that love the outside, and would run out the door at every chance. But, I've also had a cat that wouldn't stay outside if you threw him out.

I agree, the cat should make the choice. Some people think it's too dangerous outside for cats, and while it's true that there are hazards, the cat's well-being should be considered.

I mean, there are hazards to children too, but I wouldn't keep a kid locked indoors just to make sure they're safe.

turbo said:
My cousin's cat Simon was mostly indoor, but she let him outside daily. Unfortunately, he was torn to shreds one day by a Rottweiler that had gotten off-leash.

simon1.jpg
Sorry to hear that Simon was killed Turbo, Luna could have doubled as his sister. So sad...

Rhody... sheds a tear...

rhody said:
Sorry to hear that Simon was killed Turbo, Luna could have doubled as his sister. So sad...

Rhody... sheds a tear...
Thanks. Simon was a sweetie. Very vocal when he wanted attention, too. He actually seemed to enjoy being bathed in the sink. He was one of the least "catty" cats that I have known. He and my cousin's Samoyed (Cody) got along very well. Of course, if you are a cat, what better "bed" to have for naps than a big fluffy dog like a Samoyed.

She's under my bed and hasn't come out since I got home. Just in case I moved her litter box, food, water, scratching post, and toys into the room and shut the door hoping she would come out on her own.

We had a wonderful lunch together... I need to give her her meds... ugh... what am I supposed to do!?

FlexGunship said:
She's under my bed and hasn't come out since I got home. Just in case I moved her litter box, food, water, scratching post, and toys into the room and shut the door hoping she would come out on her own.

We had a wonderful lunch together... I need to give her her meds... ugh... what am I supposed to do!?
Patience Flex,

Luna was the same way, she was at the shelter for only two weeks, but was traumatized by the experience, she came around once she started to "own" her environment. The longer a kitty is in a shelter the more time they need to get used to the new "less stressful environment". Maybe coax her out with a toy, but as long as she is safe, fed, watered and medicated, don't sweat it.

Rhody... :smile:

Sometimes a little bit of butter helps a pill go down easy. Or you can grind up the pill and put it in a tiny amount of a favorite food like tuna fish or tuna broth. There are also "pill pocket" treats you can get to hide a pill inside a snack.

My cat is watching me eat dinner across the table, at times I think she thinks she is human.
She seems to know when we have chicken, won't beg but sits patiently waiting for a few bits, then she is done. Smart cat.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Patience Flex,

Luna was the same way, she was at the shelter for only two weeks, but was traumatized by the experience, she came around once she started to "own" her environment. The longer a kitty is in a shelter the more time they need to get used to the new "less stressful environment". Maybe coax her out with a toy, but as long as she is safe, fed, watered and medicated, don't sweat it.

Rhody... :smile:

Until 10 minutes ago she was NOT fed, watered, or medicated.

Math Is Hard said:
Sometimes a little bit of butter helps a pill go down easy. Or you can grind up the pill and put it in a tiny amount of a favorite food like tuna fish or tuna broth. There are also "pill pocket" treats you can get to hide a pill inside a snack.

Until 10 minutes ago she didn't have a favorite food.

But now...

I finally reached under the bed and gently removed her by the scruff of her neck. She seemed to immediately remember me. It was unpleasant, but first things first, she took her medicine. Then we did belly rubs until the phone ringing caused her to do a backflip off of my lap.

I think that reset her kitty brain because now we are playing, jumping, climbing, and running around like... uh, like... you know... a kitten. She used the litter box for the first time. Drank water for the first time, ate food, and now she is going nuts!

She's very curious and in a very exploratory mood now.

When I brought my cat home from the shelter, the first day was great. All about exploring and eating. The second day he wouldn't eat and seemed depressed. I was very worried about him. But the 3rd day he was back to his happy self.

I think that cats and dogs are wired very differently. When we brought Duke home from the shelter, he settled in immediately and was as happy as could be. Still, he would exhibit separation anxiety whenever I had to leave him alone. He still frets and whines when my wife doesn't come home at the "right" time after work. This is exacerbated by the fact that her shift is now working an hour early and an hour late every day to try to get out a critical shoe order, plus the loss of daylight saving time, so that it gets dark real early every afternoon.

I try to spend lots of time with him every day doing fun stuff, and I take him for rides in his Dog Limo, but he gets lonesome for his "momma". He never sleeps soundly unless all three of us are home together.

Well, we played a lot last night.

This morning I found her upstairs hiding but not super-hiding (like the chair incident). She came out for me and we hung out for a bit. Then I took a shower, gave her her medicine, we hung out a bit more, I cleaned her box, replaced her food, and went to work.

I think she was bummed that I was leaving.

She's eats so little and sneezes so much. At what point should I worry?

Flex,

Just a thought, with all the interest in your new kitty, post a YouTube video.

If it generates enough hits, we can coin a new phrase, "PF Kitty Viral".

Rhody... :redface: :cool:

rhody said:
If it generates enough hits, we can coin a new phrase, "PF Kitty Viral".

That could explain the sneezing! The PF Kitty Virus.

EDIT: I think she might be stirring up a lot of dust from all of her exploring. I think it's making us both sneeze.

DOUBLE EDIT: I'll snag one tonight when I get home. I have bowling, though.

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
That could explain the sneezing! The PF Kitty Virus.

EDIT: I think she might be stirring up a lot of dust from all of her exploring. I think it's making us both sneeze.
Nice... :wink:

Rhody...

Ugh, I have to say it's the hugs that get me. I know I'm supposed to be a guy, and all... but she's so little and so enthusiastic about hugs. Oh, and nose-to-nose "kisses."

Oh, for the love of science... I'm going to have to go get my testosterone checked.

Uh oh... I've just sensed a great disturbance in the force... as if millions of DVDs suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

FlexGunship said:
Well, we played a lot last night.

This morning I found her upstairs hiding but not super-hiding (like the chair incident). She came out for me and we hung out for a bit. Then I took a shower, gave her her medicine, we hung out a bit more, I cleaned her box, replaced her food, and went to work.

I think she was bummed that I was leaving.

She's eats so little and sneezes so much. At what point should I worry?

Well, my guess about the sneezing would be that upper respiratory infection you mentioned earlier. It's maybe odd that she's still having symptoms even after all the meds you've been giving her - perhaps a call to the vet would be a good idea?

That could also explain her lack of appetite. And the stress of moving, of course. Like MiH said, the first week or so out of the shelter, they might be a bit weird.

lisab said:
Like MiH said, the first week or so out of the shelter, they might be a bit weird.

Not Pixel... she's not weird. She's creative.

2a7v3o8.gif

Sometimes it's difficult for... average... people to recognize feline brilliance. </snob>

EDIT: This was a joke, btw.

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
Uh oh... I've just sensed a great disturbance in the force... as if millions of DVDs suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

:rofl:

Okay, my new nutty cat obsession is combining with my olde-tyme engineering obsession to create a wallet-obliterating combo-attack on my bank account.

Look at this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GA7J8A/?tag=pfamazon01-20:

51GGK8EJPJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Product Features
  • Modular & Expandable - Unlimited Designs
  • Easy Assembly
  • Easy Cleaning - Machine Washable Parts
  • Sturdy & Lightweight - Easy to Move
  • Replaceable Pieces

The manufacturer's http://www.felinefurniture.com/inde...category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8"shows the following products:

http://www.felinefurniture.com/comp... back up... I'm playing. You can play after!"

Last edited by a moderator:
The respiratory infection is a good explanation for the sneezing. Another cause of sneezing is dust. Perhaps she likes to hide in dusty places. Sneezing can also be caused by dusty cat litter. The "clumping" kind of litter is easier for both cats and humans to manage.

Is Pixel a long-haired cat?

You can make her something home-made, Flex. Measure up a place where she is comfortable and figure out how much real-estate her new "apartment" might need, and build her something. You'll want to spend a bit of time asking around for low-nap carpet scraps (not the shag stuff that can snag in her claws -especially since you might be gone for a night or two!), and bits and pieces of luan or other thin plywood stuff to build enclosures for her. You can get perforated MDF (Masonite) for cheap, and that might make her real happy, since she will be safe and secure, and still be able to peek through the holes to watch what's going on.

I loved building a tree-like environment for my parrot, and she truly enjoyed it. If you have a place where you can cut the materials without making a mess, all you really need is some carpenters' glue, some screws, and a screwdriver (a decent cordless one would be nice).

Stephen Tashi said:
The respiratory infection is a good explanation for the sneezing. Another cause of sneezing is dust. Perhaps she likes to hide in dusty places. Sneezing can also be caused by dusty cat litter. The "clumping" kind of litter is easier for both cats and humans to manage.

Is Pixel a long-haired cat?

She sure is! She's a regular Swiffer.

turbo said:
You can make her something home-made, Flex. Measure up a place where she is comfortable and figure out how much real-estate her new "apartment" might need, and build her something. You'll want to spend a bit of time asking around for low-nap carpet scraps (not the shag stuff that can snag in her claws -especially since you might be gone for a night or two!), and bits and pieces of luan or other thin plywood stuff to build enclosures for her. You can get perforated MDF (Masonite) for cheap, and that might make her real happy, since she will be safe and secure, and still be able to peek through the holes to watch what's going on.

I loved building a tree-like environment for my parrot, and she truly enjoyed it. If you have a place where you can cut the materials without making a mess, all you really need is some carpenters' glue, some screws, and a screwdriver (a decent cordless one would be nice).

I have a lot of materials around, actually (MDF, pine boards, etc.), and I love to build. But I have a condo and my work-space is my patio. Between low light in the evenings and cold days, I've given up on building for the season.

I've already thought about it, too. some 11.5"x11.5" pine boards make good surfaces with 1" dowels to connect them. I could even cut up fleece blankets to make the various "hammocks" or fabric walls for her to sleep in or walk on. Speaker box carpeting seems to be good for cats (in general) and I know where to get plenty for cheap.

That being said, I'll just spend the money for now rather than wait for spring.

EDIT: And say what you want, but the promise of reliving my Lego/K'Nex/Girder&Panel days is WAY too tempting.

Should I be leaving the TV on while I'm at work? Would that help her not feel lonely? I have no idea if she is lonely, but I would be.

<h2>1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?</h2><p>Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?</h2><p>Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.</p><h2>3. Do cats make good companions for single men?</h2><p>Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?</h2><p>Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.</p><h2>5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?</h2><p>One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.</p>

1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?

Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.

2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?

Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.

3. Do cats make good companions for single men?

Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.

4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?

Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.

5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?

One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.