Z Center of mass of an ice cream cone

In summary: I will continue to work on it. In summary, the problem involves finding the center of mass of an ice cream cone with equal density throughout, which consists of an inverted right circular cone as the base and a hemisphere as the top. The z com of the top hemisphere is equal to 3/8 R, while the z com of the lower section (cone) is equal to h/4. To solve this problem, it is necessary to use integrals and the density relationship. The attempt at a solution involves setting up an integral and solving for the total z com of the two solid components. However, the solution provided by BruceW suggests using the known centers of mass of the two geometric solids and treating them as point masses at
Trish1234

Homework Statement

The z com of the entire ice cream cone, the base being an inverted right circular cone, the top a hemisphere. Equal density throughout. Must solve using integrals and density relationship.

Homework Equations

The z com of the top hemisphere (ice cream) is equal to 3/8 R
The z com of the lower section (cone) is equal to h/4

The Attempt at a Solution

m = density * volume
mt/mb = (2/3*PI*R^3) / (1/3*PI*R^2*h) = 2R/h
zcom = 1/M summation m*z
(h/2R) = summ (2/3*PI*R^3) * (3/8*R) + (1/3*PI*R^2*h) * (h/4)

To be honest, I have no clue what I am doing. I know I need to some how come up with a way, using the density relationship, to set up an integral and solve the total z com of the two solid components. I'm not sure if what I did above is on the right track. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you were calculating on the final line, but the one before that is useful. You wrote "zcom = 1/M summation m*z" Try writing this out, don't worry that you are not given the density, write it in (just use a symbol like rho), and hopefully you'll find that it cancels out.

BruceW said:
I'm not sure what you were calculating on the final line, but the one before that is useful. You wrote "zcom = 1/M summation m*z" Try writing this out, don't worry that you are not given the density, write it in (just use a symbol like rho), and hopefully you'll find that it cancels out.

Hi BruceW,
My last line was my summation of the two z com components. I'm really not sure where to go with it. I am supposed to set up an integral, I just do not know what to put in the integral.

Your proposed solution involved using the "known" centers of mass of two geometric solids. In order to satisfy the question, it would be sufficient to derive those two centers of mass. You can do them separately.

Those two separate center of masses were derived, not given. I just don't know how to use those two in order to set up an integral to solve the center of mass of them combined.

Trish1234 said:
Those two separate center of masses were derived, not given. I just don't know how to use those two in order to set up an integral to solve the center of mass of them combined.

There's no integration required if you already have the masses and positions of the centers of masses of two objects. Treat then like point masses at their centers of mass.

Trish1234 said:
Hi BruceW,
My last line was my summation of the two z com components. I'm really not sure where to go with it. I am supposed to set up an integral, I just do not know what to put in the integral.

Hey Trish, welcome to physicsforums. gneill has the right idea for this problem. (although really you don't have the masses, but you do have the volumes, and since the density is the same, the density will cancel out).

Thanks. So I am on the right track with the summation. It just really confused me that he said to use integration. Maybe he just meant on the individual parts.

Thanks both for your help :)

The summation is close, but not quite right. The z values need to take account for the relative positions of the objects (and the fact that the cone is inverted), so they should not just be the z com values which were given

Ok, thanks.

What is the center of mass of an ice cream cone?

The center of mass of an ice cream cone is the point at which the entire mass of the cone can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the individual particles that make up the cone.

How is the center of mass of an ice cream cone calculated?

The center of mass of an ice cream cone can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in the cone. This involves taking into account the mass and position of each individual particle.

Does the shape of an ice cream cone affect its center of mass?

Yes, the shape of an ice cream cone can affect its center of mass. A cone with a wider base will have a lower center of mass compared to a cone with a narrower base. This is because a wider base means more mass is distributed further from the top of the cone.

What factors can affect the center of mass of an ice cream cone?

The mass and shape of the cone are the main factors that can affect its center of mass. Additionally, any toppings or decorations on the cone can also impact its center of mass if they add significant weight or change the overall shape of the cone.

Why is the center of mass of an ice cream cone important?

The center of mass of an ice cream cone is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of the cone. If the center of mass is too high, the cone may topple over. This information can also be useful for packaging and transportation purposes.