Pivoted rod - impulse applied so no horizontal force on pivot

In summary, the problem involves a pivoted rod of length L, initially at rest and then released. At the vertical position, an impulse of m√(gL/3) is required to bring the rod to rest. Using the equations for angular momentum and impulse, the minimum required impulse and its distance from the pivot can be found in order to achieve no horizontal force on the pivot. The solution involves finding the change in linear and angular momentum.
Aaron7

Homework Statement

There is a rod of length L pivoted on one end. It is originally at rest horizontally then released. When vertical, an impulse is applied to bring the rod to rest.

Throughout the question I have worked out I = 1/3 mL^2

w= √(3g/L) at the vertical position and an impulse of m√(gL/3) is the minimum required to achieve bringing the rod to rest.

I am attempting to find the impulse and distance from the pivot so that no horizontal force is exerted at the pivot.

Homework Equations

G = I dw/dt
v=rw
a=r dw/dt
Angular impulse J = r x (Impulse) = change in angular momentum
Angular momentum L = Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried: impulse required = mv = mrw
=> m√(gL/3) = mr√(3g/L)
=> r = L/3

I am confused on how to find the impulse and its distance so that the horizontal force on the pivot is 0. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Aaron7! :smile:

Find the change in (linear) momentum of the centre of mass … that gives you the magnitude of the impulse

then find the change in angular momentum of the whole rod … that give you the torque of that impulse :wink:

1. How does applying an impulse to a pivoted rod affect the horizontal force on the pivot?

When an impulse is applied to a pivoted rod, there is no change in the horizontal force on the pivot. This is because the pivot acts as a fixed point and does not experience any horizontal force. The impulse only affects the rotational motion of the rod.

2. What is the purpose of a pivoted rod?

A pivoted rod is often used to create rotational motion or to transfer rotational forces. It can also be used as a support or stabilizer for other mechanical components.

3. Can an impulse on a pivoted rod cause linear motion?

No, an impulse on a pivoted rod only causes rotational motion. In order to cause linear motion, a separate force would need to be applied in the direction of motion.

4. How does the length of the pivoted rod affect its motion when an impulse is applied?

The length of the pivoted rod plays a role in the rotational motion caused by an impulse. A longer rod will experience a larger angular displacement, while a shorter rod will experience a smaller angular displacement.

5. What factors can affect the stability of a pivoted rod?

The stability of a pivoted rod can be affected by the location of the pivot, the weight and distribution of the rod, and any external forces acting on the rod. The center of gravity of the rod should be located above the pivot in order to maintain stability.