How to calculate power from angular frequency of LRC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a voltage being applied across a series combination of components and determining the angular frequency at which the power delivered to the resistor is at a maximum. The conversation also touches on calculating the power at this frequency and determining the two frequencies at which the power delivered is half the maximum value. There is also a question about the magnitude of the imaginary component of the impedance at resonance and the resulting power dissipation.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

A voltage Δv = (120 V) sin ωt (in SI units) is applied across a series combination of a 2.13 H inductor, a 12.8 μF capacitor, and a 15.0 Ω resistor.

a) Determine the angular frequency, ω0 at which the power delivered to the resistor is a maximum. = 192
b) Calculate the power at that frequency.
c) Determine the two angular frequencies ω1 and ω2 at which the power delivered is one-half the maximum value. [The Q of the circuit is approximately ω0/(ω2 - ω1).] Enter the smaller one first.

Homework Equations

Not sure
P = Irms^2 * R
P = IV

z = sqrt(R + (wL - 1/(wC)))
z = V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a as 192, but I'm not sure where to go with part b. I calculated z to equal 15.0685 but how do I calculate I? Do i have to use z=V/I, but then what value do I use for V? Would it just be 120V? I'm not sure where to take this, so any help would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At resonance (ω = ωo) what is the magnitude of the imaginary component of the impedance? Hint: at resonance, |XL| = |XC|.

So the imaginary component would just be 0 and z=R? But what do I use for V?

MeMoses said:
So the imaginary component would just be 0 and z=R? But what do I use for V?

At resonance, yes. So, given that the impedance at resonance is purely real (and equal to R), what is the power dissipated?

Zero power is dissipated right?

MeMoses said:
Zero power is dissipated right?

Nope. The supply voltage V still sees the resistor R (since Z = R at resonance).

Ok, but won't I = V/R and then P=V*I? but I'm not getting the correct answer, unless I am not supposed to use 120 for V

MeMoses said:
Ok, but won't I = V/R and then P=V*I? but I'm not getting the correct answer, unless I am not supposed to use 120 for V

What value did you get for the power? Do you know what the correct value should be?

It could be that the 120V is a peak value rather than rms.

Yep, wasnt rms. Thanks

1. How do I calculate the power of an LRC circuit using angular frequency?

The power of an LRC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the square of the current (I) in the circuit by the resistance (R). This product is then multiplied by the cosine of the phase angle (θ) between the current and voltage. The formula for power in an LRC circuit is P = I^2Rcos(θ).

2. What is the formula for angular frequency in an LRC circuit?

The formula for angular frequency (ω) in an LRC circuit is ω = 1/√(LC), where L is the inductance of the circuit and C is the capacitance. This can also be written as ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency of the current in the circuit.

3. How does the power change with respect to the angular frequency in an LRC circuit?

The power in an LRC circuit is directly proportional to the square of the angular frequency. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the power in the circuit also increases. Similarly, as the angular frequency decreases, the power in the circuit decreases.

4. Can I calculate the power in an LRC circuit using only the resistance and angular frequency?

Yes, the power in an LRC circuit can be calculated using only the resistance (R) and the angular frequency (ω). The formula for power is P = I^2R, and the formula for angular frequency is ω = 1/√(LC). By substituting ω into the power formula, we get P = R/LC, which only requires the resistance and angular frequency as inputs.

5. How do I know if the power in an LRC circuit is positive or negative?

The power in an LRC circuit can be positive or negative, depending on the phase angle (θ) between the current and voltage. If θ is positive, the power is positive, meaning that energy is being delivered to the circuit. If θ is negative, the power is negative, meaning that energy is being absorbed from the circuit.