Is this the Wavelength? (Diffraction)

In summary, diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings. It is related to wavelength, as the amount of diffraction depends on the size of the obstacle or opening relative to the wavelength of the wave. Diffraction and interference are both phenomena that occur when waves interact with each other, but they have different causes. Diffraction is useful in scientific research as it allows for the study of wave properties and determination of wavelength. Diffraction is also different from refraction, as it occurs when waves encounter obstacles while refraction occurs when waves pass through a medium with varying density.
Modrisco
I've asked this question about 4 times on yahoo but no one seems to have the brains to answer it!

Looking at the diagram:

LA.jpg

Just trying to get a better understand of "λ = asin Ѳ"

I've marked what I think is the wavelength...can someone please advise? as I'm trying to get a report done and I don't want to say the wrong thing!

If that's not the wavelength..is it the green line?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If pairs are cancelling out then the path difference is 1/2 wavelength.
I think the green lines are 1/2wavelength so the red+green is 1wavelength

What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings. In the case of light, it refers to the bending of light waves as they pass through a narrow slit or aperture.

How does diffraction relate to wavelength?

The amount of diffraction that occurs depends on the size of the opening or obstacle relative to the wavelength of the wave. Larger wavelengths produce more diffraction, while smaller wavelengths produce less. Therefore, diffraction can be used to determine the wavelength of a wave.

What is the relationship between diffraction and interference?

Diffraction and interference are both phenomena that occur when waves interact with each other. Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles, while interference is the superposition of waves that results in either constructive or destructive interference. Both diffraction and interference can be observed when waves with similar wavelengths interact.

How is diffraction useful in scientific research?

Diffraction is an important tool in various fields of science, such as optics, acoustics, and radio astronomy. It allows scientists to study the properties of waves and determine their wavelengths, which can provide valuable information about the source of the waves.

How is diffraction different from refraction?

Diffraction and refraction both involve the bending of waves, but they occur for different reasons. Diffraction occurs when waves encounter an obstacle or opening, while refraction occurs when waves pass through a medium with varying density. Additionally, diffraction causes waves to spread out, while refraction causes waves to change direction.