Calculating Torque and Tangential force from X,Y Vectors

In summary: F_x i + F_y j) = (x F_y - y F_x) kand the magnitude of the torque is given by the magnitude of that vector. You can convert that to a scalar by multiplying by the magnitude of r.In summary, the question is how to convert the vector forces on point P to the angular force on the edge of the disk. The position of point P and the size of the disk are known. Additionally, the question asks for the calculation of torque on the disk from the vector forces at point P. A small diagram has been drawn to illustrate the problem. Further help is appreciated.
Jdo300
Hello all,

I'm have a software program I using which gives me an output the X and Y vector forces at Point P on a disk, and I was wondering what calculations I need to use to convert the forces on Point P to the angular (Tangential?) force on the edge of the disk; I know the position of point P, as well as the size of the disk. I was also wondering how to calculate the amount of torque on the disk from the Vector forces of point P. I drew up a small diagram to help illustrate what I'm trying to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• Illustration.GIF
    Illustration.GIF
    3.6 KB · Views: 3,990
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry dear no idea for this because i am very bad at maths.
but still i will try to get the answer for this bye.

Jdo300 said:
Hello all,

I'm have a software program I using which gives me an output the X and Y vector forces at Point P on a disk, and I was wondering what calculations I need to use to convert the forces on Point P to the angular (Tangential?) force on the edge of the disk; I know the position of point P, as well as the size of the disk. I was also wondering how to calculate the amount of torque on the disk from the Vector forces of point P. I drew up a small diagram to help illustrate what I'm trying to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason O
I am assuming P is an arbitrary point on the disk. There will be a vector r from the center of the disk to point P. That vector will have components x and y so in terms of the usual horizontal and vertical axes you have

r = x i + y j
F = F_x i + F_y j

The vector r forms an angle θ with the positive x-axis. In terms of this angle x = r*cosθ and y = r*sinθ. At P the vector F forms an angle φ with the positve x axis. In terms of this angle F_x = F*cosφ and F_y = Fsinφ. The equations for r and F become

r = r*cosθ[ B]i[/B] + r*sinθ j
F = F*cosφ i + F*sinφ j

What you are looking for is a way to express F in terms of components in the direction of r and in the perpendicular direction. If you move P to some other location in your diagram and draw the vectors r and F you should see that there is an angle between r and F that can be expressed in terms of θ and φ. But the force stays at point P. It is not applied at the edge of the wheel. Even if you leave the vectors in terms of x and y components, you can compute the torque from the defining equation

τ = r x F

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do I calculate torque from X,Y vectors?

To calculate torque from X,Y vectors, you will need to find the magnitude and direction of the force vector and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. You can then use the formula torque = force x distance x sin(theta) to calculate the torque, where theta is the angle between the force vector and the distance vector.

3. What units is torque typically measured in?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. How does tangential force relate to torque?

Tangential force is the component of force that is perpendicular to the radius of rotation. It is directly related to torque, as torque is the product of tangential force and the distance from the axis of rotation. In other words, the greater the tangential force, the greater the torque and the more likely an object is to rotate.

5. Can I use trigonometry to calculate torque and tangential force?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to calculate torque and tangential force. By breaking down the vectors into their x and y components, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to find the magnitude and direction of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. These values can then be plugged into the torque formula to calculate the torque and tangential force.