Calculate the minimum thickness

In summary, the homework statement says that a polymer plate with Young Modulus of 0.8 GPa and a middle line force of 0.6 kN will safe thickness be calculated using the bending formula. However, the stress-strain curve and load-extension curve must be used to determine the value of the yield stress.
engineer46

Homework Statement

I have a large polymer plate of 45cm x 120cm, with Young Modulus 0.8 GPa and I want to calculate the safe thickness (before fracture) of that plate on a middle line force across the width of the plate with magnitude of 0.6 kN.

The middle line force distribution is shown here: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7450/49266917.jpg

Homework Equations

-----

The Attempt at a Solution

I use flexural modulus formula but i just noticed that flexural modulus is not the same with young modulus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help please?

I don't do much work with polymers, but you should concern yourself more with the yield stress rather than the elastic modulus if you are looking for the thickness that provides a factor of safety against failure rather than against large deformations. So calculate the bending moment at the center of the plate, and adjust the thickness to calculate the section modulus bt^2/6 to provide an appropriate safety factor against yield stress ( you need to know the value of the yield stress in compression and tension for the particular polymer you are using.

I have the stress-strain curve and the load-extension curve for this material. I can get the yield stress for this material but I am not sure how the thickness will be determined using the bending formula. it is not a beam, it is a large plate with b,d and t. By using the moment formula, only b and t are used.

thank you for your help

engineer46 said:
I have the stress-strain curve and the load-extension curve for this material. I can get the yield stress for this material but I am not sure how the thickness will be determined using the bending formula. it is not a beam, it is a large plate with b,d and t. By using the moment formula, only b and t are used.

thank you for your help
yes, it is a plate, but it is simply supported at the ends and free at the edges, and subject to a line loading at its center, so you can treat it as a beam with a length of 120 cm and a cross sectional area of 45(t) cm^2, with a load of 0.6 kN applied as a concentrated load at its center.

i will try it and i will be back to you. thank you

am trying to calculate the moment:

So the force is in the middle:

M= (Force*distance)/length= [(0.6*10^3)*0.45]/(1.2).

Is that the moment?

engineer46 said:
am trying to calculate the moment:

So the force is in the middle:

M= (Force*distance)/length= [(0.6*10^3)*0.45]/(1.2).

Is that the moment?
Moment has units of force times length. For a simply supported beam with a load at the center, the moment varies from 0 at the supports to a maximum at the center (at L/2). Can you find the value of this max moment?

What is the purpose of calculating the minimum thickness?

The purpose of calculating the minimum thickness is to determine the smallest possible thickness that a material or structure can have in order to withstand the expected loads and stresses without failing.

What factors are considered when calculating the minimum thickness?

When calculating the minimum thickness, factors such as the material properties, expected loads and stresses, and safety factors are taken into account. Other factors may also include environmental conditions and design requirements.

How is the minimum thickness calculated?

The minimum thickness is typically calculated using mathematical equations that consider the factors mentioned above. These equations can vary depending on the type of material or structure being analyzed.

What are the consequences of using a thickness below the calculated minimum?

If a thickness below the calculated minimum is used, it can result in the material or structure failing under the expected loads and stresses. This can lead to safety hazards, structural damage, and financial losses.

Can the minimum thickness change over time?

Yes, the minimum thickness can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, corrosion, and changes in environmental conditions. It is important to regularly reevaluate and recalculate the minimum thickness to ensure the continued safety and stability of the material or structure.