Inducing an EMF in an Aluminum Ring

In summary, the problem involves an aluminum ring with a radius of 5.00 cm and a resistance of 2.65 x 10^-4 Ω placed around one end of a long air-core solenoid with 970 turns per meter and a radius of 3.00 cm. The solenoid is producing an increasing current at a rate of 270 A/s. The induced emf is found by using the equation ε = d(magnetic flux)/dt and the magnetic field in a solenoid, B = μ0(turns / length)(current). The flux is found by integrating B over the area of the solenoid end, and the emf is calculated by dividing the flux by time. The
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

31-p-009.gif

An aluminum ring of radius r1 = 5.00 cm and a resistance of 2.65 x 10^-4 Ω is placed around one end of a long air-core solenoid with 970 turns per meter and radius r2 = 3.00 cm as shown in the figure. Assume the axial component of the field produced by the solenoid is one-half as strong over the area of the end of the solenoid as at the center of the solenoid. Also assume the solenoid produces negligible field outside its cross-sectional area. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a rate of 270 A/s.

Homework Equations

ε = d(magnetic flux) / dtmagnetic flux = ∫(B)(dA)I = ε / Rmagnetic field in a solenoid:

B = μ0(turns / length)(current)Ampere's law? :

∫B ds = μ0I(+ some other formula / combination I'm probably missing)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I mostly need help just finding the induced emf (ε). I know you're to somehow find the magnetic flux of what I believe is the ring. Afterwards you find the magnetic flux and you can divide it by time (rather the time interval in which the magnetic flux changes) giving you the induced emf?

But it's complicated because there's changing current instead, which is in the solenoid, and I am not sure what to do about it, or how it relates to the change in flux over time. At the end you divide the induced emf by the resistance of the ring giving you the induced current.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Color_of_Cyan! :smile:
Color_of_Cyan said:
magnetic field in a solenoid:

B = μ0(turns / length)(current)

I think I mostly need help just finding the induced emf (ε).

I don't see the difficulty :confused:

B = μ0(turns / length)(current),

so dB/dt = μ0(turns / length)d(current)/dt​

tiny-tim said:
Hi Color_of_Cyan! :smile:I don't see the difficulty :confused:

B = μ0(turns / length)(current),

so dB/dt = μ0(turns / length)d(current)/dt​
Sorry if I sound dumb:If I solve for flux how do I account for the magnetic field that you now show is changing? (I'm really not too good with calculus either just so you know)I'm thinking since flux = ∫B dA

Then flux = ∫[ (dB/dt)(dA) ] ? (Not sure what to do about this)

On the subject of flux of the RING, the area is still πr2 right, even though it's a ring?

I guess the flux is changing as well since the magnetic field is changing. I'm thinking something along the lines that

flux = μ0(970 turns / meter)[ π(0.05m)2]

then emf is just = μ0(970 turns / meter)[ π(0.05m)2](270A / time change in s)

?

flux = ∫B dA

so d(flux)/dt = ∫[ (dB/dt)(dA) ]
On the subject of flux of the RING, the area is still πr2 right, even though it's a ring?

what matters is the flux through the ring

but the question tells you not to bother to calculate it properly …

it tells you to assume that the flux through the ring (radius r1) is simply the flux through radius r2, and also that the B field there is half the B field at the centre of the solenoid

Yes I meant flux through the ring, my bad.
tiny-tim said:
it tells you to assume that the flux through the ring (radius r1) is simply the flux through radius r2, and also that the B field there is half the B field at the centre of the solenoid

I can't see where you got that the flux through the ring is the same as the flux through r2 though

So, the flux would be the same using the area of the solenoid end though? Also multiply by 1/2 ?

So would it be

flux = ∫B dA

emf = d(flux)/dt

emf = (1/2)(μ0)(970 turns / meter)(270 A / s)[∏(0.03m)2]

?

Color_of_Cyan said:
I can't see where you got that the flux through the ring is the same as the flux through r2 though

from …
Color_of_Cyan said:
… Assume the axial component of the field produced by the solenoid is one-half as strong over the area of the end of the solenoid as at the center of the solenoid. Also assume the solenoid produces negligible field outside its cross-sectional area.

since the ring is perpendicular to the axis, and since the field is obviously cylindrically symmetrical, that means only the axial component is relevant to the flux through the ring

and it specifically tells you to ignore any field outside r2

so the flux through the ring (r1) is the same as the flux through r2 :wink:
So, the flux would be the same using the area of the solenoid end though? Also multiply by 1/2 ?

So would it be

flux = ∫B dA

emf = d(flux)/dt

emf = (1/2)(μ0)(970 turns / meter)(270 A / s)[∏(0.03m)2]

?

looks good! :smile:

Thanks.

1. How can an EMF be induced in an aluminum ring?

An EMF (electromotive force) can be induced in an aluminum ring by changing the magnetic field around the ring. This can be done by moving a magnet near the ring or by varying the current in a nearby coil.

2. What materials are needed to induce an EMF in an aluminum ring?

In addition to the aluminum ring, you will need a source of alternating current, such as a battery or generator, and a magnetic field source, such as a magnet or electromagnet.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced EMF in an aluminum ring?

The strength of the induced EMF depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the size and material of the ring. A stronger magnetic field or faster rate of change will result in a stronger induced EMF.

4. What are some practical applications of inducing an EMF in an aluminum ring?

Inducing an EMF in an aluminum ring can be used in devices such as generators, transformers, and motors. It can also be used in wireless charging systems and electromagnetic sensors.

5. Are there any safety considerations when inducing an EMF in an aluminum ring?

Yes, care should be taken to avoid strong magnetic fields near electronic devices, as they may cause interference. Additionally, high voltages can be generated when an EMF is induced, so proper precautions should be taken when working with electricity.