Need help with contraconcave mirrors

• Thread starter utkarsh5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, the hole needs to be big enough for you to see the object. It is not a projection image - you need to be able to see a bit of the mirror for it to work.
utkarsh5
need help with contraconcave mirrors...

i saw the video of mirage illusion on the inter-net .it consists of two concave mirrors placed in front of each other such that focus point on each mirror is on the pole of the other mirror.one of the mirrors has a hole in between.i decided to make one for myself(as i can't get it here where i live).i calculated that the aperture of the mirrors should be equal to ?7 times their focal length(f*2.64).are my calculations correct?also,what size should i make the hole?i am asking this since i can't take risk of ordering wrong mirrors,since i can't get them here,so they will be costly.please answer.thanks in advance!

Science news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.
The hole needs to be big enough for you to see the object. It is not a projection image - you need to be able to see a bit of the mirror for it to work.

I cannot tell if your calculations are correct if I don't know your calculations.

Compare what you plan with the following:
http://www.wfu.edu/physics/demolabs/demos/6/6a/6A2035.html

thank you for your answer!i am going to go with my calculations,and use the corresponding focal lengths(what's science if there is no risk?:smile:)as for the size of the hole,i am definitely following your advice.again,thanks!:smile:

as for my calculations,i have uploaded a rough diagram as an attachment.i used the mirrors as as part of two spheres,intersecting each other.since focal length is half the radius of curvature,the line segment joining the two centers is trisected,with each part equal to focal length.between the mirrors,f is bisected again (just an imaginary bisection,to ease the calculation).applying pythagoras' theorem,we get half of aperture = root7 / 2 times f.so, aperture is root7 times f.

Attachments

• contracon.jpg
    contracon.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 432

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your project involving contraconcave mirrors. It sounds like you have done some research and calculations to determine the necessary specifications for your project. However, I cannot confirm the accuracy of your calculations without more information about the mirrors you are using. It is important to consider the curvature and size of the mirrors, as well as the distance between them, when determining the aperture and size of the hole. It may be helpful to consult with an expert or do some additional research to ensure the accuracy of your calculations.

Regarding the size of the hole, it is difficult to provide an exact measurement without knowing the specifics of your project. However, as a general rule, the hole should be small enough to create a clear and sharp image, but not so small that it obstructs the light rays. It may be helpful to experiment with different sizes to find the best result.

I understand that ordering the mirrors may be costly, but it is important to use high-quality mirrors to achieve the desired effect. If you are unsure about the specifications, it may be best to consult with a professional or purchase pre-made contraconcave mirrors.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and hope that you are able to successfully create your own mirage illusion. Thank you for your interest in science and experimentation.

1. What is a contraconcave mirror?

A contraconcave mirror is a type of curved mirror that has one concave side and one convex side. This means that the mirror curves inward on one side and outward on the other side.

2. How does a contraconcave mirror differ from a regular concave mirror?

A regular concave mirror curves inward on both sides, while a contraconcave mirror has one inward curve and one outward curve. This creates a unique optical effect, as light is reflected in different directions.

3. What is the purpose of a contraconcave mirror?

A contraconcave mirror is commonly used in optics experiments to demonstrate the principles of reflection and refraction. It can also be used in telescopes and other optical devices to manipulate light and create different optical effects.

4. How does a contraconcave mirror affect the image formed by an object?

When an object is placed in front of a contraconcave mirror, the image formed will appear distorted due to the different curvatures of the mirror. The image will also appear to be inverted compared to the object's actual position.

5. Are there any real-life applications of contraconcave mirrors?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of contraconcave mirrors. They are used in some types of telescopes to create a wider field of view and reduce aberrations. They are also used in laser cavities, where the unique curvature helps to focus and amplify the light beam.