Thermo problem for a pressure vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses heating water in a pressure vessel and finding the final pressure of the vessel. The initial temperature is 80°F and the final temperature is 1100°F. The ideal gas law is not applicable in this situation since the gas will be water vapor at high pressure. The saturated vapor pressure of water at 1100°F needs to be calculated and the number of moles of water vapor in the container needs to be compared to the number of moles in 5 gallons of water. If the number of moles of water vapor is less, then the water will not run out and the pressure can be calculated by adding the partial pressure of the steam to the partial pressure of the air at 1100°F.
rkendrick
My question has to do with heating water to a superheated state inside a constant volume vessel.

Given: A pressure vessel with a total volume of 36.77ft^3, is filled with 5 gal of water and heated from room temp. to a final temp. of 1100°F. Obvisouly the initial pressure is atmospheric and the initial temp. is room, or let's say 80°F.

Find: Final pressure of vessel.

In the end I will vary the amount of water in the vessel to obtain a curve relating the volume of water to the final pressure but we can assume 5 gal for the beggining. I have worked on this for some time and am sure that it is much simpler than I am making it out to be. I am aware that the Ideal Gas Law may not be applied since the gas will be water vapor at a high pressure. Hopefully one of you can enlighten me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I note that the container is not, in fact, filled with water, as 5 US gallons occupy only 0.664 ft2.

Your first step is to look up the saturated vapour pressure, psat, of water at 1100°F. You should now use the ideal gas equation to calculate the number of moles of steam there would be in the container, at a (partial) pressure of psat. Make sure it's less than the number of moles in 5 gallons of water.

If it is less, than the water, won't have run out, and to find the pressure in the container you simply add Psat (the partial pressure of the steam) to the partial pressure, pair, of the air at 1100 °F, which will be approximately
[tex]p_{air} = \frac{1100 + 460}{80 + 460} \times p_{atmos}.[/tex]

If the number of moles of steam in the container at 1100 °F and psat is greater than the number of moles in 5 gallons of water then the water will run out (all evaporated) at some temperature lower than 1100 °F and you will need to modify your calculation. If you can't figure out how to do this, ask again!

Good luck!

My saturated steam tables only go up to 705.1°F which I assume is the critical temperature. How would I find the Psat for 1100°F? Also, if I am well above the critical temperature is it not safe to assume that all the water is now evaporated?

rkendrick. You are quite right. I'd simply find how many moles of water vapour there are in 5 gallons of water, and treat the water vapour as an ideal gas, in order to calculate the partial pressure at 1100 °F. Of course the ideal gas bit is an approximation, but to do anything else would be rather complicated. Incidentally, 1100 °F is too low a temperature for appreciable thermal dissociation of water molecules.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The problem you have described is known as a thermo problem for a pressure vessel. This type of problem involves calculating the final pressure of a vessel after a certain amount of water has been heated to a specific temperature.

To solve this problem, we can use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

In this case, we can assume that the water vapor inside the vessel behaves as an ideal gas. We know that the initial pressure (P1) is atmospheric pressure, or 14.7 psi, and the initial temperature (T1) is 80°F. We also know that the final temperature (T2) is 1100°F and the final volume (V2) is 36.77ft^3.

To find the final pressure (P2), we can rearrange the ideal gas law equation to solve for P2:

P2 = (nRT2)/V2

To calculate n, the number of moles of water vapor, we can use the molar mass of water (18 g/mol) and the mass of water in the vessel (5 gal = 18.93 kg).

n = (18.93 kg)/(18 g/mol) = 1.05 mol

Substituting this value for n and the given values for R, T2, and V2 into the equation, we get:

P2 = (1.05 mol x 0.08206 L atm/mol K x 1100°F)/(36.77 ft^3)

P2 = 34.6 psi

Therefore, the final pressure of the vessel is 34.6 psi.

To create a curve relating the volume of water to the final pressure, you can repeat this calculation for different volumes of water (keeping the other variables constant) and plot the results on a graph. This will give you a relationship between volume and pressure for this specific system.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and provide a solution. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,

Scientist

1. What is a thermo problem for a pressure vessel?

A thermo problem for a pressure vessel refers to an issue with the temperature and pressure inside a closed container. This can occur when there is a mismatch between the materials used to construct the vessel and the temperature and pressure it is exposed to, leading to potential failures or malfunctions.

2. What are the common causes of thermo problems for pressure vessels?

The most common causes of thermo problems for pressure vessels include inadequate material selection, improper design, and manufacturing errors. Environmental factors, such as extreme temperatures or corrosive substances, can also contribute to thermo problems.

3. How can thermo problems for pressure vessels be prevented?

Thermo problems for pressure vessels can be prevented by carefully selecting materials that can withstand the expected temperature and pressure conditions, following proper design and construction guidelines, and conducting regular maintenance and inspections. Additionally, conducting thorough risk assessments can help identify potential thermo problems before they occur.

4. What are the potential consequences of a thermo problem for a pressure vessel?

A thermo problem for a pressure vessel can have serious consequences, including explosions, leaks, and structural failures. These can result in property damage, injuries, and even loss of life. Thermo problems can also lead to costly repairs, downtime, and damage to a company's reputation.

5. How can thermo problems for pressure vessels be addressed?

If a thermo problem is identified, it is important to take immediate action to address it. This may include repairing or replacing the vessel, conducting further inspections and tests, and implementing preventive measures to avoid similar issues in the future. It is also crucial to follow industry standards and regulations to ensure the safe operation of pressure vessels.