Why is oceanic crust thinner than continental crust?

• Thread starter SeannyBoi71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in thickness between oceanic and continental crust and the possible reasons for this difference. The initial suggestion that the weight of ocean water causes the mantle to rise up and create thinner crust is found to be incorrect. Instead, the conversation suggests doing further research to understand the differences in composition, age, and formation mechanisms between the two types of crust. The conversation also highlights the importance of doing one's own research before asking for clarification.
SeannyBoi71
Hi, I am doing a geophysics assignment and had some confusion. Basically I want to know why oceanic crust is so much thinner than continental crust. My friend has told me it's because there is less weight on top of it because the ocean water is not very dense, causing the mantle to rise up higher in that area. Doesn't seem right to me. Can someone please clarify?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
SeannyBoi71 said:
Hi, I am doing a geophysics assignment and had some confusion. Basically I want to know why oceanic crust is so much thinner than continental crust. My friend has told me it's because there is less weight on top of it because the ocean water is not very dense, causing the mantle to rise up higher in that area. Doesn't seem right to me. Can someone please clarify?
Your friend is wrong. What does your textbook say about the crust? What research have you done and what have you found?

I just googled it and got the answers in less than .05 seconds. Try doing a search and if you still have specific questions, please ask. It's always good to look first yourself.

Last edited:
Questions you might wish to ask yourself would include:
how do the compositions of oceanic and continental crust differ
how do the ages of the two differ
how do the formation mechanisms of the two differ
what does my forum name mean

Evo said:
... I just googled it and got the answers in less than .05 seconds ...

Oh, Evo, there you go again expecting people to actually do at least some trivial amount of research THEMSELVES before asking questions here. SUCH high expectations for today's youth.

There are a few factors that contribute to the difference in thickness between oceanic crust and continental crust. One of the main reasons is the composition of the two types of crust. Oceanic crust is primarily made up of basalt, which is denser and more compact than the granite that makes up continental crust. This means that oceanic crust is able to support less weight on top of it compared to continental crust.

Additionally, the process of seafloor spreading plays a role in the thickness of oceanic crust. As molten magma rises up from the mantle and cools at the mid-ocean ridges, it forms new oceanic crust. This crust is constantly being pushed away from the ridges by the movement of the tectonic plates, causing it to become thinner and older as it moves away from the ridge. On the other hand, continental crust is not formed in the same way and is not constantly being pushed away, allowing it to remain thicker over time.

It is also important to consider the density of the underlying mantle. The oceanic crust sits on top of the mantle, which is less dense than the crust itself. This allows the oceanic crust to sink deeper into the mantle, making it thinner compared to the continental crust which is sitting on top of a denser mantle.

In summary, the difference in composition, formation process, and underlying density all contribute to the thinner nature of oceanic crust compared to continental crust. While the weight of the ocean water may play a small role, it is not the main factor in this difference. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion you may have had.

1. What is oceanic crust confusion?

Oceanic crust confusion refers to the mistaken belief that the ocean floor is made up of a single layer of solid rock. In reality, oceanic crust is composed of different layers and is much more complex than initially thought.

2. What are the different layers of oceanic crust?

The layers of oceanic crust include the top layer of sediment, followed by a layer of basaltic lava, then a layer of gabbro, and finally the mantle below.

3. How is oceanic crust formed?

Oceanic crust is formed through the process of seafloor spreading, where molten rock from the mantle rises to the surface and solidifies, creating new crust. This process is driven by the movement of tectonic plates.

4. How does oceanic crust differ from continental crust?

Oceanic crust is thinner and denser than continental crust. It is also younger, with the oldest oceanic crust being only around 200 million years old, while continental crust can be billions of years old. Additionally, oceanic crust is primarily composed of basalt, while continental crust is mostly granite.

5. Why is understanding oceanic crust important?

Understanding oceanic crust is crucial for understanding plate tectonics and the formation of our planet's surface. It also plays a role in ocean circulation, the distribution of marine life, and the formation of mineral deposits. Additionally, studying oceanic crust can provide insights into the Earth's history and potential resources for human use.