Fossil fuels- rescue me

• Thread starter lwymarie
  • Start date
In summary, Fossil fuels are formed from the remains of plants and animals that lived millions of years ago. When burned, they produce energy through complete combustion, which results in the production of carbon dioxide and water. The process of simple fractional distillation is used to separate crude oil into different components, and glass wool is used to filter out impurities. Liquid fuels are easier to store and lighter than solid fuels because they can take the shape of their container. The distinction between toxic and poisonous is that toxic substances can cause harm through contact or inhalation, while poisonous substances can cause harm when ingested.
lwymarie
Fossil fuels-- rescue me please

Equation of complete combustion of hydrocarbon-- hydrocarbon + oxygen -> carbon dioxide + water. Is energy included in the products?

Simple fractional distillation of crude oil carried out in laboratory-- Why the crude oil is soaked by the glass wool? Can we add crude oil into the test tube without the glass wool?

Why is the shape of the flame of crude oil a triangle pointed 'very upward'?

A sentences in my chem notes-- Liquid fuels are easier to store and lighter than solid fuels. Why?

How to distinguish between toxic and poisonous?

:rofl:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You seem to have no brainstorming. These are almost fairly easy to answer.

How do you heat your home? Don't you burn something to obtain thermal energy?

Crude oil may have some impurities, glass wool is an impermeable plug here. You somewhat "filter" the crude oil by doing this.

I have not heard of a triangle, so I'm stuck here.

Remember-liquids are easier to store, since they get the shape of the container.

I must say that these are very easy to answer, please do some brainstorming before submitting your thread.

okay...thx

1. What are fossil fuels?

Fossil fuels are natural resources that were formed over millions of years from the remains of plants and animals. These fuels include coal, oil, and natural gas, and they are used to produce energy for electricity, transportation, and heating.

2. How are fossil fuels extracted?

Fossil fuels are extracted from the Earth's crust through mining, drilling, and fracking. Coal is typically mined from underground or surface mines, while oil and natural gas are extracted through drilling wells into underground reservoirs.

3. What are the environmental impacts of using fossil fuels?

The use of fossil fuels contributes to air and water pollution, as well as the emission of greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change. Extraction and transportation of these fuels can also have negative impacts on local ecosystems.

4. Are there any alternatives to fossil fuels?

Yes, there are alternative sources of energy such as solar, wind, and hydro power. These renewable sources do not emit greenhouse gases and have a lower environmental impact compared to fossil fuels. However, their implementation and infrastructure may still be limited in some areas.

5. Can we completely replace fossil fuels with renewable energy?

While it is possible to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and transition to renewable energy sources, it may not be completely feasible or realistic to completely replace them. Fossil fuels still play a significant role in our current energy infrastructure and economy, and it may take time to fully shift to renewable energy sources.