Why is normal force in the direction of vector normal?

In summary, the normal force exerted on an object by an inclined, frictionless surface is necessarily in the direction normal to the plane. This is because the surface is solid and cannot be penetrated, so any net normal force would cause the object to move through the plane, which it cannot do. Additionally, if the plane is frictionless, there is no resistance to motion in the direction tangent to the surface, meaning the normal force is the only force acting against the motion. This understanding has been developed through experimentation and is accepted as a model for solving problems involving objects on inclined surfaces.
hihiip201
This might be a bit philosophical, but is this just from experiment? that for a really really smooth surface, people found that the net force on an incline surface is found to be approximately in the direction normal to the incline plane? (approximately because there's no perfectly smooth surface, unless you use a magnetic plate i guess).

But are there any other reason, maybe just convention? that normal force is in the direction of normal to an incline plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, the total force is not normal but tangential to the surface of the (idealized) inclined plane. The reason is that the component of the gravitational force normal to the inclined plane is compensated by the contact forces exerted by the plane to the body on the plane.

" that normal force is in the direction of normal to an incline plane? "
Correct.
In addition, the surface will usually exert a force tangential to itself, we Call that typically the force of friction.

vanhees71 said:
Of course, the total force is not normal but tangential to the surface of the (idealized) inclined plane. The reason is that the component of the gravitational force normal to the inclined plane is compensated by the contact forces exerted by the plane to the body on the plane.

I'm aware of the force analysis of an object on an incline plane, my question is, how do we know that the force exerted on an object by an incline plane must be normal

Maybe I should clarify what I'm asking.

My question is, why, or how do we know that the normal exerted on an object by an incline plane must be normal to the plane itself. Experiment? or convention?

hi hihiip201! :smile:
hihiip201 said:
My question is, why, or how do we know that the normal exerted on an object by an incline plane must be normal to the plane itself. Experiment? or convention?

(you mean the reaction force exerted :wink:)

we don't know …

if the reaction force is normal, we say the plane is frictionless

if the reaction force isn't, we don't​

The normal force is perpendicular to the surface. It does not matter if the surface is smooth or rough. It is used to set up your FBD ( free body diagram ) so you can solve the problem at hand.

Other forces such as gravity or friction may make the resultant force offset at an angle to the perpendicular to the surface. Do not confuse the normal force with the resultant force.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_normal
for the definition of a normal vecrtor

If the surface is smooth and frictionless then it doesn't resist sliding on the surface, i.e. there is no force tangential to the surface. However, since the surface is solid and you can't go through it, it will resist any normal force, since a net normal force would make the object move through the plane and the plane just resists that.

As others have alluded to, the force exerted by the inclined plane on a body in contact with the plane is not necessarily normal to the plane. The force can always be resolved into two components, one tangent to the plane, and the other normal to the plane. The component normal to the plane is typically referred to as the "normal force."

Chestermiller said:
As others have alluded to, the force exerted by the inclined plane on a body in contact with the plane is not necessarily normal to the plane. The force can always be resolved into two components, one tangent to the plane, and the other normal to the plane. The component normal to the plane is typically referred to as the "normal force."

I'm sorry, Maybe I should ask my question again with more precision.

Why is the reaction force of an incline, frictionless surface, necessarily in the normal direction of the plane.

how do we know, that for a smooth surface, the reaction force necessarily exert a force that is only normal to its plane. Did they physicists back then used that as a model to solve problems, and find that it generally works?

chingel said:
If the surface is smooth and frictionless then it doesn't resist sliding on the surface, i.e. there is no force tangential to the surface. However, since the surface is solid and you can't go through it, it will resist any normal force, since a net normal force would make the object move through the plane and the plane just resists that.
so I guess the logic here is :

the direction of which motion is restricted = the direction of force?

hihiip201 said:
Why is the reaction force of an incline, frictionless surface, necessarily in the normal direction of the plane.

how do we know, that for a smooth surface, the reaction force necessarily exert a force that is only normal to its plane.

i repeat …

tiny-tim said:
i repeat …

ok, I have the reasoning backward then.

thanks

But you should understand it backwards also if you happen to have such a question. It can be taken as a definition, that if the force is normal, the plane is frictionless, but asking it the other way around, if the plane is frictionless (having some concept of friction beforehand, i.e. the plane is slippery, doesn't brake sliding etc), why is the force normal, is a perfectly acceptable question and you should keep on asking it until you feel that you can understand it.

First it is important to understand that the force normal to the plane has to be balanced, since the object cannot go through the plane. If there is an unbalanced force in a certain direction on an object, the object will start accelerating in that direction.

Then it is important to understand that if the plane is slippery, there is no resistance in moving across the plane, that means that there is no force from the plane against the direction of motion. Since there is no component of force parallel to the plane, it means that the total force from the plane is normal.

hihiip201 said:
I'm sorry, Maybe I should ask my question again with more precision.

how do we know, that for a smooth surface, the reaction force necessarily exert a force that is only normal to its plane. Did they physicists back then used that as a model to solve problems, and find that it generally works?
If you resolve the contact force between the inclined plane and the body into components normal and tangential to the plane, and I tell you that the tangential component (commonly referred to as the frictional force) is equal to zero, that leaves only the normal component (which then is equal to the resultant contact force). In general, the reaction force is not normal to the plane, even for a smooth surface. But the tangential component cannot be greater than the normal component times the coefficient of static friction. If the coefficient of static friction is very low, as it is for many materials (e.g., ice), then the tangential component is very small. In the limit of zero coefficient of static friction, the tangential component (frictional force) is equal to zero.

1. Why is normal force always perpendicular to the surface?

The normal force is always perpendicular to the surface because it is defined as the force that acts on an object in a direction perpendicular to the surface of contact. This means that it is always directed at a 90-degree angle from the surface, or in other words, in the direction of the surface's normal vector.

2. How does normal force affect an object's motion?

The normal force does not directly affect an object's motion, as it is a reactive force that balances out other forces acting on the object. However, it is a crucial part of the force equation and helps determine an object's overall motion and stability.

3. Can normal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the weight of an object in certain situations. This can occur when the object is on an inclined plane or when other forces, such as friction, are acting on the object. In these cases, the normal force is used to balance out the net force acting on the object.

4. Is normal force always present?

No, the normal force is not always present. It only exists when there is a surface in contact with an object and there is an external force acting on the object. For example, if an object is floating in space with no contact with any surface, there would be no normal force acting on it.

5. How can we calculate the magnitude of the normal force?

The magnitude of the normal force can be calculated using the formula FN = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface and the gravitational force acting on the object. This formula assumes that there are no other external forces acting on the object besides gravity.