Observed angular velocity function of object moving in straight path

In summary, the author is looking for an equation to represent the angular velocity of an object traveling in a straight path x and y distance away from where it is being observed as well as the velocity of the object. He is getting a differential equation that in its simplest form makes sense, but he cannot get anything out of it. If someone could help him out that would be great. He has attached an illustration of his progress so far.
bendloewen
Hello, I have been trying to find an equation to represent the observed angular velocity of any object traveling in a straight path x and y distance away from where its being observed, along with the moving objects velocity. My problem is that I am getting a differential equation that in its simplest terms makes complete sense, but I can't get anything out of it. If you all could help out that would be great. I have attached an illustration, with my progress on it so far in the upper right corner. I am needing this for a camera tracking system, where it sees points as x and y coordinates. After calibrated, I need to include its observed angular velocity, and I could include angular acceleration that would be great too! Thanks again for all of your help.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
bendloewen said:
Hello, I have been trying to find an equation to represent the observed angular velocity of any object traveling in a straight path x and y distance away from where its being observed, along with the moving objects velocity. My problem is that I am getting a differential equation that in its simplest terms makes complete sense, but I can't get anything out of it. If you all could help out that would be great. I have attached an illustration, with my progress on it so far in the upper right corner. I am needing this for a camera tracking system, where it sees points as x and y coordinates. After calibrated, I need to include its observed angular velocity, and I could include angular acceleration that would be great too! Thanks again for all of your help.
x = y tanθ

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=y sec^2θ\frac{dθ}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]sec^2θ=\frac{x^2+y^2}{y^2}[/tex]

Thankyou for the answer, could you tell us where you got the sec^2=x^2+y^2/y^2? I have never seen that in any of my maths

nevermind i just figured it out haha. Thanks!

I would suggest using the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation. This formula applies to objects moving in a circular path, but can also be used for objects moving in a straight path as long as the distance from the center of rotation is constant. If the distance is changing, you may need to use the formula ω = v/√(x^2+y^2), where x and y are the distances from the center of rotation at each point in time. Additionally, if you want to include angular acceleration, you can use the formula α = a/r, where α is the angular acceleration and a is the linear acceleration. I hope this helps with your camera tracking system. Good luck!

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity describes the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity describes the rate of change of linear displacement. In simpler terms, angular velocity is how fast something is spinning, while linear velocity is how fast something is moving in a straight line.

3. How is observed angular velocity calculated?

Observed angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What factors can affect the observed angular velocity of an object?

The observed angular velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as the object's mass, shape, and size, as well as external forces such as friction and air resistance. The object's distance from the fixed point and any changes in its angular acceleration can also impact its observed angular velocity.

5. How is observed angular velocity graphically represented?

Observed angular velocity can be graphically represented by plotting angular velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The resulting graph is a curve that shows the relationship between these two variables and can provide insights into the object's motion and changes in angular velocity over time.