Finding capacitence, used C = (EoA)/d, but didn't work

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding values for a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor charged with a potential difference of 450 V. A summary of the values to be found are given, including the capacitance, charge on each plate, stored energy, electric field, and energy density. The conversation then proceeds to solve for the values, with a correction made for converting cm^2 to m^2. Finally, the correct values are found to be 1680pF, nC, µJ, V/m, and J/m^3, respectively.
mr_coffee
This seems like a plug n' chug problem but i missed it somehow..
A parallel-plate air-filled capacitor having area 38 cm2 and plate spacing 2.0 mm is charged to a potential difference of 450 V. Find the following values.

(a) the capacitance
wrong check mark pF
(b) the magnitude of the charge on each plate
nC
(c) the stored energy
µJ
(d) the electric field between the plates
V/m
(e) the energy density between the plates
J/m3

So i used C = (EoA)/d
A = .38
V = 450
d = .002m
C = [(8.85e-12)(.38)]/.002
C = 1.68e-9, but the want it in pF, p is e-12, so i moved the decimal over to amek it 1680pF, but it was still wrong, did i mess up converting it from e-9 to e-12?

Physics news on Phys.org
38 cm^2 = .0038 m^2

hm...1 meter = 100 centimeters
38cm/100cm = .38m

Area is NOT measured in "cm", but in cm x cm .
as in 10cm x 3.8 cm ... Convert both of them!

I know area is m^2, not m, or cm^2, not cm...
The problem already gives me the Area, so its already cm^2:
38 cm^2, so i want to conver that into meters, so .38 m^2. 2.0mm is the distance, i don't square that also.

[tex] 38 \, cm^2 = 38 \, cm^2 * \frac{1 \, m}{100 \, cm}* \frac{1 \, m}{100 \, cm} = 38*10^{-4} \, m^2 = .0038 \, m^2 [/tex]

ohhhh my bad, sorry I'm slow hah, thanks guys!

1. Why didn't the formula C = (EoA)/d work for finding capacitance?

The formula C = (EoA)/d is the standard formula for calculating capacitance, where Eo is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the capacitor's plates, and d is the distance between the plates. However, there could be several reasons why it did not work for your specific situation. Some possible reasons could be incorrect measurements, using the wrong units, or not considering other factors that may affect the capacitance.

2. How accurate is the formula C = (EoA)/d for finding capacitance?

The formula C = (EoA)/d is a simplified version of the more complex formula for capacitance, which takes into account other factors such as the material between the plates and any dielectric constants. While it is accurate for basic calculations, it may not be precise for more complex situations. For greater accuracy, it is recommended to use the full formula for capacitance.

3. Can the formula C = (EoA)/d be used for all types of capacitors?

No, the formula C = (EoA)/d is specifically for parallel plate capacitors. Other types of capacitors, such as cylindrical or spherical capacitors, have their own unique formulas for calculating capacitance.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the formula C = (EoA)/d for finding capacitance?

Some common mistakes when using this formula include using the wrong units, not taking into account the material between the plates, and not considering any dielectric constants. It is important to double-check all measurements and make sure all necessary factors are included in the calculation.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my calculation when using the formula C = (EoA)/d?

To improve the accuracy of your calculation, you can use more precise measurements, make sure to include all necessary factors such as the material between the plates and any dielectric constants, and use the full formula for capacitance if necessary. It is also helpful to consult with an expert or reference materials for more complex situations.