Calculating the Force Constant of a Spring: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, you need to use the formula F=kd to find the force constant of a spring. This will be plotted on a graph with displacement on the X axis and force on the Y axis. The slope of the graph will give you the k value.
marshall4
How do i find the force constant of a spring with a Newton meter?
Do i graph the force applied vs. distance of stretch? What is on the x-axis, what is on the y-axis?

How do i find an equation for the amount of skretch needed for on spring on a projectile, with the horizontal distance, angle of the projectile, mass and force constant given?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of textbook are you using in your school?

Originally posted by marshall4
How do i find the force constant of a spring with a Newton meter?
Do i graph the force applied vs. distance of stretch? What is on the x-axis, what is on the y-axis?
F = kd
k = F/d
Now that you know the formula, it's easy to figure it out. Plot force on the Y axis and displacement on the x axis. The slope of the graph will give you the k value.

Your second question is difficult to understand. Can you reword it or say it differently?

Originally posted by PiRsq
What kind of textbook are you using in your school?

Nelson Physics 12
Why?

Originally posted by ShawnD

Your second question is difficult to understand. Can you reword it or say it differently?

I'm launching a spring off the end of an angled launch pad (projectile) at angle Өtheta, i want to find how long i have to skretch the spring in order for the spring to go x metres in the horizontal distance.

i think i use the equation ½mv²=½kx² to find the velocity. Then I use that velocity in the equation d=[v²sin2(theta)]/g, to find the horizontal distance. Does that sound right, or is there an easier equation?

Last edited:
Combine the equations to get the result

Range = (kx2 sin 2θ)/mg

I can't see it getting any easier.

Checkout Sample Problem #4 on pg 209

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical law that states the relationship between the force applied on a spring and the resulting extension or compression of the spring. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This formula shows the linear relationship between force and displacement.

3. What is the unit for spring constant?

The unit for spring constant is Newton per meter (N/m) or pound-force per inch (lbf/in). It represents the stiffness of the spring and is a measure of how much force is needed to extend or compress the spring by a certain distance.

4. What is the significance of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is significant because it explains the behavior of springs and elastic materials under applied forces. It is also used to calculate the amount of force needed to extend or compress a spring by a certain distance, which has practical applications in engineering and physics.

5. Are there any limitations to Hooke's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to Hooke's Law. It only applies to elastic materials and small deformations. If the force applied is too large, the material may exceed its elastic limit and become permanently deformed. Hooke's Law also assumes a linear relationship between force and displacement, which may not hold true for all materials.