Fluid Mechanis - Pipe Flow Velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the average velocity in a pipe with a diameter of 0.075 meters and four equally spaced drains with a flow rate of 15 L/s each. The goal is to determine the maximum velocities at each drain, assuming laminar flow. The necessary assumptions for solving the problem include using three boundary systems and applying continuity to find the entrance flow rate.
360modina

Homework Statement

I'm looking for a formula that has velocity at a certain point in a pipe. I only have velocity and pipe diameter.

The problem goes something like:

A Tube with a 0.075 meter diameter has four drains equally spaced apart
with a cap at the far end. Each of the four drain opening has a flow of
15 L/s.

I need to find the average Vs in the tube between each of the drains, I marked them as 1, 2, and 3. If the flow is laminar, what are the max velocities at 1, 2, and 3? List assumptions needed for solving.

15LS.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm still missing a relevant formula...

The Attempt at a Solution

To start of I think that three boundary systems would need to be used:
System 1:
Inlet
Drain 1
Location 1

System 2:
Drain 2
Location 2

System 3:
Drain 3
Location 3
Drain 4

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked on the problem a bit more:

I found the pipe area

A= 0.785 * Diameter2
=4415.625mm2

and Q or liquid flow rate = Rho * V * Area

so in order for the first velocity at the drain to be 15l/s, the Q must be at least 66.27 l/s

I'm still pretty stuck though and not sure if I'm going in the right direction

to find the entrance flow rate you have to do continuity, so pVa=4(pVa)

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under different conditions such as motion, flow, and pressure.

What is pipe flow velocity?

Pipe flow velocity is the speed at which a fluid (liquid or gas) moves through a pipe. It is typically measured in units of meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

How is pipe flow velocity calculated?

Pipe flow velocity can be calculated using the equation v = Q/A, where v is the velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure and elevation changes along the pipe.

What factors affect pipe flow velocity?

The factors that can affect pipe flow velocity include the diameter and length of the pipe, the type of fluid, the temperature and viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe. Additional factors such as friction, turbulence, and obstructions in the pipe can also affect the velocity.

Why is understanding pipe flow velocity important?

Understanding pipe flow velocity is important in various engineering and scientific fields such as fluid mechanics, hydraulics, and environmental science. It helps in designing efficient and safe piping systems, predicting the behavior of fluids in different situations, and identifying potential issues or limitations in the system.