Calculating Angular Momentum of a Rotating Disk with a Point Mass on the Rim

In summary, a woman with a mass of 45.0 kg and a large disk with a mass of 120 kg and a radius of 4.50 m are rotating at an angular velocity of 0.490 rev/s about an axis through its center. The magnitude of the total angular momentum of the woman-plus-disk system can be calculated using the equation L = I(omega), where I is the moment of inertia. For a disk, the moment of inertia is (1/2)mr^2. Therefore, the total angular momentum is calculated as [(1/2)(120 kg + 45 kg)(4.50m)^2]*3.079 rad/s, resulting in 5143.8 kg m
ph123
A woman with a mass of 45.0 kg is standing on the rim of a large disk that is rotating at an angular velocity of 0.490 rev/s about an axis through its center. The disk has a mass of 120 kg and a radius of 4.50 m. Calculate the magnitude of the total angular momentum of the woman-plus-disk system. (Assume that you can treat the woman as a point.)

Ok, well I first converted rev/s into rad/s.

0.490 rev/s * 2(pi) = 3.079 rad/s

Next I determined that the moment of inertia for a disk is

(1/2)mr^2

Next I used the equation for angular momentum:

L = I(omega)
= [(1/2)mr^2]omega
= [(1/2)(120 kg + 45 kg)(4.50m)^2]*3.079 rad/s
= 5143.8 kg m^2/s

This one seemed really straightforward to me, but the program I use for physics says the answer isn't right. Anyone know what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you omitted the radius squared term for the disk in your next to last eqn.

denverdoc said:
I believe you omitted the radius squared term for the disk in your next to last eqn.

Aside from the fact that one should never treat women as points, I think the problem is that she has a factor of (1/2) on her. Her moment of inertia is m*r^2.

Dick said:
Aside from the fact that one should never treat women as points, I think the problem is that she has a factor of (1/2) on her. Her moment of inertia is m*r^2.

right, they hate to be treated as point objects. :mad:

You're right I didn't see that the R^2 was factored out, and the 1/2 also factored. Its funny you get used to seeing things presented a certain way the errors in perception one can make at a glance. I even looked twice.

denverdoc said:
right, they hate to be treated as point objects. :mad:

You're right I didn't see that the R^2 was factored out, and the 1/2 also factored. Its funny you get used to seeing things presented a certain way the errors in perception one can make at a glance. I even looked twice.

I've looked more than twice and still been wrong. See my most recent fiasco in thermodynamics...

How is the woman mr^2. Is she considered a hollow cylinder? If so, then, I have to add the momentum of the disk itself and then the momentum of her separately? How do account for the fact that she is on the disk, such that the disk is heavier with her on it?

Point mass I=mR^2 which you are advised to treat her as, this eqn is one of the few moment of inertias that follows immediately from its definition

ph123 said:
How is the woman mr^2. Is she considered a hollow cylinder? If so, then, I have to add the momentum of the disk itself and then the momentum of her separately? How do account for the fact that she is on the disk, such that the disk is heavier with her on it?

The disk isn't 'heavier'. It just has a normal force acting on it - which doesn't affect its moment of inertia. The moment of inertia of the hollow cylinder and a point mass are both mr^2 for the same reason - all of their mass is concentrated at the rim.

ive got this same question, and i am clueless on where to go

Just add the moments of inertia of the point-woman and the disk and multiply by the angular velocity. If that's not enough of a clue, then I'd suggest you repost the question so others can help. Resurrecting old threads is a bad idea. They have too much confusing baggage attached.

ph123 said:
... but the program I use for physics says the answer isn't right. ...
Hello Ph123

What is the program you use for physics?

C

they are both mr^2 right?

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is angular momentum of a disk calculated?

The angular momentum of a disk can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating).

How does the mass and radius of a disk affect its angular momentum?

The mass and radius of a disk both play a role in determining its angular momentum. A larger mass or radius will result in a greater moment of inertia, making it more difficult to change the disk's rotational motion and thus increasing its angular momentum.

What happens to the angular momentum of a disk when external forces act on it?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that if external forces act on a disk, its angular momentum may change.

How is angular momentum of a disk used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum is an important concept in physics and is used in many real-world applications. For example, it is used to describe the motion of planets and satellites in space, as well as the motion of objects such as spinning tops and gyroscopes. It is also important in engineering, particularly in the design of machines and vehicles that involve rotational motion.