Application with conservative and nonconservative forces

In summary, a 3.0-kg block is accelerated by a compressed spring on a horizontal surface without friction. After leaving the spring, the block encounters a new portion of the surface with a coefficient of friction 0.20, traveling a distance of 8.0 m before coming to rest. With a force constant of 120 N/m, the maximum kinetic energy of the block and the distance of compression of the spring can be solved by considering the block's motion in two steps or in one step, using the fact that at maximum compression the block's speed is zero and all its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy in the spring.
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

A 3.0-kg block sliding on a horizontal surface is accelerated by a compressed spring. At first, the block slides without friction. But after leaving the spring, the block travels over a new portion of the surface, with a coefficient of friction 0.20, for a distance of 8.0 m before coming to rest (see Figure 8.12). The force constant of the spring is 120 N/m.

(a) What was the maximum kinetic energy of the block?
(b) How far was the spring compressed before being released?

Here is a link to the picture (Figure 8.12)
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3631/figure812pp1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not really understand how to start with this problem. I probably have to break it up into two cases, the distance where forces are conservative (the spring) and the distance where forces are not conservative (the friction). I do not know how to set up the problem because a distance isn't given for where the block is when the spring is compressed. Therefore, I am not sure how I can describe potential energy and apply the formulas for energy conservation.

Any hints to get me started would be greatly appreciated, then I will work some of it out and continue to relay back and forth in this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jacobpm64 said:

Homework Statement

A 3.0-kg block sliding on a horizontal surface is accelerated by a compressed spring. At first, the block slides without friction. But after leaving the spring, the block travels over a new portion of the surface, with a coefficient of friction 0.20, for a distance of 8.0 m before coming to rest (see Figure 8.12). The force constant of the spring is 120 N/m.

(a) What was the maximum kinetic energy of the block?
(b) How far was the spring compressed before being released?

Here is a link to the picture (Figure 8.12)
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3631/figure812pp1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not really understand how to start with this problem. I probably have to break it up into two cases, the distance where forces are conservative (the spring) and the distance where forces are not conservative (the friction). I do not know how to set up the problem because a distance isn't given for where the block is when the spring is compressed. Therefore, I am not sure how I can describe potential energy and apply the formulas for energy conservation.

Any hints to get me started would be greatly appreciated, then I will work some of it out and continue to relay back and forth in this post.

You could do it in two steps (from initial until it touches the spring and then from the moment it touches the spring until it's fully compressed) or in one step, it does not matter.

You can solve for the distance of compression. All you need to do is to use the fact that at maximum compression the speed is zero. So all the kinetic energy the block has when it reaches the spring (after the friction part) is cnverted into potential energy stored in the spring when the spring is fully compressed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the block is starting at the point where the spring is fully compressed.. then being let go and being shot to the right (in the picture).. all the way through the no-friction surface.. and then the friction surface (for 8 m)...

It seems like you're saying that the block is coming in from the right of the photo (through the friction surface)... then hitting the spring.

Does it matter which way you look at it?

1. What is the difference between conservative and nonconservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that conserve mechanical energy, meaning that the work done by the force is independent of the path taken. Nonconservative forces, on the other hand, do not conserve energy and the work done by the force is dependent on the path taken.

2. How do conservative and nonconservative forces affect the motion of an object?

Conservative forces only affect the object's potential energy, while nonconservative forces affect both the object's potential and kinetic energy. This means that conservative forces can only change the object's speed, while nonconservative forces can also change the direction of motion.

3. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, elastic forces, and electrostatic forces.

4. How does the concept of work apply to conservative and nonconservative forces?

Work is defined as the product of the force applied and the distance moved in the direction of the force. In the case of conservative forces, the work done is independent of the path taken and only depends on the initial and final positions of the object. For nonconservative forces, the work done depends on the specific path taken by the object.

5. How can we determine if a force is conservative or nonconservative?

A force is considered conservative if it meets the following criteria: 1) The work done by the force is independent of the path taken, 2) The work done in a closed loop is zero, and 3) The work done is only dependent on the initial and final positions of the object. If any of these criteria are not met, the force is considered nonconservative.