Specific heat and temp - please check

In summary, the problem involves finding the final temperature of a mixture of 0.50 kg of water at 80 degrees C and 0.050 kg of ice at -5.0 degrees C. All the ice melts and the final temperature is found using the specific heat of water and ice, as well as the heat of fusion. Different equations are used to calculate the heat absorbed and released by the ice and water, and these are set equal to each other to solve for the final temperature. There is some confusion about the mass of the ice being added, but it is important to use the correct mass in the calculations.
jaded18
In an insulated container, 0.50 kg of water at 80 degrees C is mixed with 0.050 kg of ice at -5.0 degrees C. After a while, all the ice melts, leaving only the water. Find the final temperature T_f of the water. The freezing point of water is 0 degrees C.
The expression for heat of transformation is (334000*0.05)

And then I set these Q's that I found to 0. And my answer that I get is 71.78 degrees C.

But I have a feeling I am doing something wrong. Any feedback will be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
no one can help...?

lol i did like a LOT of problems like these in ap chem last year.. but i forgot some of the formulas.. could u put up some formulas? please
Also, u should post this on the chemistry/bio/other science forum

oh by the way.. it says -->4190 J/(kg*K) convert it to kelvin

aq1q said:
lol i did like a LOT of problems like these in ap chem last year.. but i forgot some of the formulas.. could u put up some formulas? please

To solve a calorimetry problem like this one, Qnet = 0
In absence of phase changes, amount of heat Q required to change the temp of an object of mass m from Temp_i to Temp_f, we use Q=mc(T_f-T_i) where c=specific heat/
Since we are dealing with a phase change in this prob, we must also take into consideration the amount of heat involved here which is Q=mL where L is the heat of transformation.

ok i think i remember.. basically the heat released must equal to heat absorbed.. so what is the total heat absorbed? the heat of transformation + the heat it takes change the temperature of ice to 0.. right? so set your first + third equations = second
clear?

and it doesn't matter whether i use kelvin or celsius. as long as i am consistent throughout the prob, it doesn't matter...

thats true.. ok sorry.. but I'm pretty sure what i said earlier is correct. is that basically what u did?

jaded18 said:
In an insulated container, 0.50 kg of water at 80 degrees C is mixed with 0.050 kg of ice at -5.0 degrees C. After a while, all the ice melts, leaving only the water. Find the final temperature T_f of the water. The freezing point of water is 0 degrees C.
The expression for heat of transformation is (334000*0.05)

And then I set these Q's that I found to 0. And my answer that I get is 71.78 degrees C.

But I have a feeling I am doing something wrong. Any feedback will be awesome.

I get 88.22 which is IMPOSSIBLE. how the heck can the temp rise? Oy.

lol why did u quote your own statements? I'm getting it to be 72.5 did u get 88.22 using what i said?

The reason u got u got 88.22 is because u added 8.22 instead of subtracting.. you have to realize that u have to put a negative before 4190.. the reason is due to its being released. i mean this negative positive is all relative, when this is consistent.

The reason I am getting 72.5 is because I'm dividing by .55 instead of .5... because I am adding the mass of the ice..
(I think that's what u do, it makes sense right?)

Last edited:
I did 525+16700 = 2095(T_f-80) and got T=88.2

i quoted the problem so i could refer to it when i type my response so that i don't have to scroll up so far^^

aq1q said:
Why? This is a typical introductory physics thermodynamics question.

Remember that the heat lost by the water is equal to the heat gained by the ice. Be careful of your signs.

your answer doesn't make much sense tho... why would temperature only decrease by 1 .. what i did to get 71.77 the first time was make my second equation negative since heat is being released. but I'm not so sure now, you know?

ya I'm sorry hage. Well i know that but i suggested that because he posted it around 5. but no one responded..

jaded18 said:
your answer doesn't make much sense tho... why would temperature only decrease by 1 .. what i did to get 71.77 the first time was make my second equation negative since heat is being released. but I'm not so sure now, you know?

ya i was plugging the numbers off, i missed a zero. but the reason I'm getting it to be 72.5 is because I'm adding the mass of the ice.

--i edited my comment, read it again

I have noOoOo clue how you are arriving at that number. can you spell it out for me? and I totally understand the posting this on chem forum thing because i remember having to do these kind of probs in chem way back when.

0.05*2100(0-(-5)) + (334000*0.05)=-(.55)(4190)(tf-80) ... ok
i have .55 because i added the mass of the ice.. now i can be wrong, but i don't think so.. because it makes sense. I used to be very good in chemistry class as well lol. The negative is there because its being released..

aq1q said:
ya i was plugging the numbers off, i missed a zero. but the reason I'm getting it to be 72.5 is because I'm adding the mass of the ice.

--i edited my comment, read it again

I don't understand this "because I am adding the mass of the ice" thing. You added the mass 0.05kg to my answer of 71.77? Now that doesn't make much sense.

no that's not what I'm saying

lol you keep posting just when i have finished responding...cancel what i said above for now

haha

the answer key says lol what?!

Last edited:
hahahah um hmm... did u check to see if u are missing a 0 or added extra 0s.. for 2100 and 334000 stuff..

I remember that sometimes these were really tricky cause it gave u answers in KJ instead of J. and things like that.. but huh.. I'm assuming that u gave the right information.

Last edited:
wait.. u deleted that 65 out of the post? lol was 65 not the answer?

HAHA yes it was but I realized it's stupid to post answers like that. If anyone else gets how to do this problem correctly, enlighten me. By the way, all info presented in the first post is correct. (aq1q, we are totally spamming this thread...)

Last edited:
Don't add the masses together. This is becoming a mess.

You need to consider

The heat required to bring the ice from -5 degrees to 0 degrees
The heat required for the phase change of ice at 0 degrees to water at 0 degrees
The heat required to bring the 0.05 kg of water now at 0 degrees to the final temperature of the system.

These three terms will be equal to the heat lost by the 0.5 kg of water at 80 degrees going to the final temperature of the sytem.

So heat gained by melting ice to water at 0 degrees (then to final temp) = - heat lost by water initially at 80 degrees

Last edited:
chemist here,

listen to hage567, that is a good procedure

ah, that makes sense. oh this was good review for me

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

What is the relationship between specific heat and temperature?

The specific heat of a substance is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a substance increases, its specific heat also increases.

Why is specific heat important in understanding temperature changes?

Specific heat is important in understanding temperature changes because it helps us calculate the amount of heat needed to raise or lower the temperature of a substance. This is especially useful in fields such as thermodynamics and chemistry.

How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat absorbed or released by a substance during a temperature change. The specific heat can then be calculated using the mass, temperature change, and heat absorbed or released values.

What factors affect the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its molecular structure, density, and phase (solid, liquid, or gas). It can also be influenced by external factors such as pressure and the presence of impurities.