Finding acceleration from graphs (s vs t^2)

In summary, the conversation is about graphing displacement versus time squared and finding the independent and dependent variables. The equation s(t) = vi^t + 1/2a*t^2 is mentioned, as well as the use of error bars and kinematics equations. The conversation also includes a discussion about the direction of the slope on the graph and the use of Excel to plot and show error bars. There is also a suggestion to consider s as the dependent variable and t^2 as the independent variable, and a reminder to take into account the initial velocity of the object.
BayernBlues

Homework Statement

If I’m to graph a plot of s (displacement) vs t^2 (time squared) then what would be the independent and dependent variable, t or s? I’m supposed to supposed to use this graph to find a slope with error bars and use the appropriate kinematics equation [which I think is s(t) = 1/2 at^2 (the vi*t is 0)]. The slope I will attain from the t^2 versus s graph, what will it represent? And how could I possibly plug it back into the equation to find acceleration? Thanks.

Also when I graph my results, should it be a positive or negative slope if the distance and time are decreasing every time? Because if it's a negative slope than that would mean that the x values for time squared would decrease going from 9.826 to 7.132

Homework Equations

s(t) = vi^t + 1/2a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the table I'll use
Average Displacement (cm)-------->Average Time squared (t²) s
Distance 1 152.90 ± 0.05 cm--------->9.686
Distance 2 143.66 ± 0.05 cm--------->9.321
Distance 3 133.30 ± 0.04 cm--------->8.588
Distance 4 123.56 ± 0.02 cm--------->7.896
Distance 5 113.76 ± 0.02 cm--------->7.132

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to draw a linear graph, right? And, as your graph will pass through the origin, this will have the form y=mx, correct? I'm going to assume that time is your independent variable, as it is the one with with you don't have a recorded error. Now, rearrange the formula to find m. Does the result seem familiar?

When drawing your graph, always start at the origin (0,0), and go towards infinity, for both x and y. Start with your lowest value of time, plot it, and continue up until you run out of points. In this way, you will not have a negative slope.

Actually, the error on time is +/- 0.0005 s. Anyways, I don't know about starting from 0, I mean, wouldn't that throw off the graph because the four intervals for time are 9.686 s, 9.321, 8.588 etc.

My other question now is should I have the time going from 9.686, 9.321, 8.588 or should I have the time increasins going from 7.132 s to 9.686?

Reason is because I'm supposed to find gravity from the acceleration. I'm guessing that the slope will be the value of 1/2*a from the kinematics equation.

Also, would anyone know how to show error bars on excel?

Right click on one of your points.

"Format data series"

"X Error Bars"
"Y Error Bars"

Plot it as increasing

Best to consider s as the dependent and t^2 as the independent variables.
Assuming you are using Excel?

If the object started out of rest the term [tex]ut[/tex] can be dropped from the formula so

[tex]s = s_o + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]

which menas that the gradient of the graph should be half of the acceleration and the y-intercept the displacement of the object from the origin when it started to accelerate.

This approach gives you a negative gradient. This fits the situation where the origin was below the point where the object was released and it fell towards the origin, giving you a negative acceleration.

Last edited:

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How do you calculate acceleration from a graph?

To calculate acceleration from a graph, you need to find the slope of the line. This can be done by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The slope of a line on a graph represents the object's acceleration.

What does the x-axis represent on a s vs t^2 graph?

The x-axis on a s vs t^2 graph represents time. It is typically labeled as "t" and is measured in seconds (s).

What does the y-axis represent on a s vs t^2 graph?

The y-axis on a s vs t^2 graph represents displacement. It is typically labeled as "s" and is measured in meters (m).

How can I use a s vs t^2 graph to find the acceleration of an object?

To find the acceleration of an object using a s vs t^2 graph, you can plot the data points and draw a best-fit line. Then, calculate the slope of the line by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This slope represents the acceleration of the object.